Tree id (post oak/red oak?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newt243

Nov 22, 2016
Arkansas
Just fell these 2 dead standing trees. I'm fairly decent at telling trees by their leaves but not bark. One is fairly punky but has decent heartwood. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 275
Piece on the chopping block looks like ash to me. The one on the ground with the shrooms looks oakie. Could be a 3rd type there as splitting block looks like maple. Some pics of grain would help.

Piece on the chopping block looks like ash to me. The one on the ground with the shrooms looks oakie. Could be a 3rd type there as splitting block looks like maple. Some pics of grain would help.
The chopping block has been there awhile and from a different tree. The lighter colored splits where harder to cut through with the chainsaw but could be split swinging an axe with one hand. They didn't break apart like they were punky, just very easy to split.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1860.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 225
The chopping block has been there awhile and from a different tree. The lighter colored splits where harder to cut through with the chainsaw but could be split swinging an axe with one hand. They didn't break apart like they were punky, just very easy to split.
Yeah white wood is ash and other oak or maybe hickory? Either way good score.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yeah white wood is ash and other oak or maybe hickory? Either way good score.
I was really thinking the white wood was a post oak. There are a bunch of living ones around the one I fell that still had leaves attached. I will try to get a pic of the living ones. I do live on a bayou and my land is very wet. Lots of white, red, and water oaks as well as hickory.

White splits are ash. Even though some post oaks can have some of the x pattern it wouldn't be that prolific on rounds that small. It's also in the white oak family and the bark color isn't that whitish-grey color.

Second one is a red oak. I get lots like that with some punk, but still great once dry. Great score.

Reactions: D8Chumley
White splits are ash. Even though some post oaks can have some of the x pattern it wouldn't be that prolific on rounds that small. It's also in the white oak family and the bark color isn't that whitish-grey color.

Second one is a red oak. I get lots like that with some punk, but still great once dry. Great score.
Here are some pics of a living tree that is the same as the one you said was ash. I cut another dead one down next to the living one. Let me know what you think. I am curious because I have quite a few that I could cut that are standing dead.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.PNG
    IMG_1864.PNG
    330.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1865.PNG
    IMG_1865.PNG
    460.8 KB · Views: 221
Red oak punk wood is as good as most others

OK.....Well I don't think those are all the same tree. I see the post oak with leaves, but if you look close the x pattern is not very pronounced like in the ash splits. The ridge width and furrow depth are similar, but ash has very noticeable x pattern and the oak has more longer strips of ridges. Not sure what the one on the ground is. Certainly could be oak, could be ash but bark is off again. It honestly looks like elm to me, bark and dark cambien, but it's so dead it's hard to tell. I can tell you a foolproof way to identify if what you've got is oak, no matter what tree. Take a close up clear pic of the end grain of a decent sized round and check for medullary rays. If any of those have them, it's oak. Also see lots of trees in the background without leaves, which means there's other species around the oaks you have.

OK.....Well I don't think those are all the same tree. I see the post oak with leaves, but if you look close the x pattern is not very pronounced like in the ash splits. The ridge width and furrow depth are similar, but ash has very noticeable x pattern and the oak has more longer strips of ridges. Not sure what the one on the ground is. Certainly could be oak, could be ash but bark is off again. It honestly looks like elm to me, bark and dark cambien, but it's so dead it's hard to tell. I can tell you a foolproof way to identify if what you've got is oak, no matter what tree. Take a close up clear pic of the end grain of a decent sized round and check for medullary rays. If any of those have them, it's oak. Also see lots of trees in the background without leaves, which means there's other species around the oaks you have.
Here I see a pic of two rounds. There are other trees in this particular area but it's predominantly post oaks in a 100 yard radios.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 134
Yep, those rounds are oak, but they don't look like the rounds in your first set of pics. Still think those are ash. But if a lot of what you cut has those rays in it, then it's deff oak heavy. Bet it's nice to have that.