Tree ID- Some Sort Of Chestnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Doesn't look like an almond or a chestnut. The leaves are serrated, like chestnut, but the nuts aren't furry and round like a chestnut. The bark is dark brown, like dirt, similar to almond but the skins of the nut are smooth. The nuts are green in September, plenty on the ground cracked open by squirrels and birds.
Optimized-IMG_20120914_073515.jpgOptimized-IMG_20120914_073353.jpg

I like Pecans. They're growing all over in a nearby park. I'll keep an eye on them and rake some up soon, along with some dog turds probably(as seen in second pic) I was offered a small tree to cut down yesterday. The leaves are similar which got me wondering what it is. I think the tree to cut is probably almond or cherry. At first I thought it might be a creek willow, but the bark is dark brown, and it is growing on an old farmhouse lot that is being developed into a cul de sac.

Pecan

Good BTUs in that stuff.

Pecan can be a booger to split, knarley like hickory but almost worse due to most being grown in open orchards and pruning over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.