Tree ID- This just showed up in my yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very unusual. Beautiful grain though. Back stepping on my assertion that it was Pine. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it sure didn't taste like pine....

Reactions: Omaha419
20160603_071851.jpg

this is a picture of one of the longer pieces (obviously not the aspen). branches do not appear to be horizontal...

Fir would have been my first guess, but there is spruce in your area that is quite dense and slower growing due to the altitude. Reports long ago were that this is an excellent firewood.

i licked it, and it tastes nothing like pine-sol! looking at some of the other sections that were dropped off, there are not very many branches on it, and it appears as though there were a few big Y (i can count 3). I really don't think it is an evergreen or pine. I think it might be a wild cherry tree....

Not likely spruce based on what I've seen near home. They are a very sap ridden tree compared to other pines. Branch orientation is wrong.

Looks more like a fruit tree - apple, crab apple, cherry. Could try splitting off some kindling and give it a burn to see what aroma it has...

I will stick with my original assertion that it is cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.