Tree ID? (updated with pictures- wait, I GOT IT!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I will get some pics soon, but there's a tree growing back by our shed that is fast-growing, and is going to have to come down soon. I wonder what it is and whether the wood would be any good. It's got a trunk that's already maybe 10" in diameter. It is sort of a "weed tree" but has compound, slightly toothed leaves that look like a nut tree. I can't recall any fruit, nut, or flower associated with it.

Using this identification tool http://www.oplin.org/tree/leaf/leaf pages/031 pinnately similar/similar.html

I end up at possibilities of ash, sumac, hickory, poison sumac! None of these really seem quite right though. Anyone know of any similar guides to the one I linked that might help? Does poison sumac really grow into a big tree like that? I am VERY allergic to poison ivy and now just reading about poison sumac (after messing with the tree to inspect it) I am already feeling itchy!

Its probably ash.

Could be, the compound leaves do look like that, but that identification tool above says that Ash compound leaves come out in pairs right across from each other, and in this one they do seem to alternate. But then again, I am looking at the end of the branch so maybe I need to look at one that's further in. So when we cut this down, we can burn it yes? Ash about like Poplar?

Ash is in the top 5 of best wood fuel. Dries fast and high btu's.

Could be totally wrong, isn't tree of heaven similar to sumac? Definitely a fast growing, invasive weed tree.

I also wonder if it could be Ailanthus/Tree of Heaven. Poison Sumac is very unlikely to grow in your yard at all, and a 10 inch diameter one would be extremely large for Poison Sumac, so i'd rule that out. Sounds like your identification guide narrowed down the choices to the trees with compound leaves. You should be able to narrow it down to either ash or one of the others based on the arrangement of the leaves on the stem. If the leaves appear opposite each other - a leaf on each side of the stem, then farther up the stem another pair of leaves, one on each side, etc. - it is an ash. Otherwise it has alternate leaves - one leaf on this side, a bit farther up the stem one leaf on the other side, then a bit farther a leaf on the same side as the first leaf, etc. - it is either sumac, hickory, or ailanthus. Of those, Ailanthus is the fastest growing tree.

Ailanthus has faily lightweight wood that isn't a real good firewood. Sumac has wood that is so light it is barely wood, more like a thick grassy stem. hickory and ash are great.

A few pics would sure help

We're very picture oriented here . . . post some pics and you'll most likely have a positive ID within a few minutes/hours.

OK, OK, got some bad pics! Thanks guys, see if you can do anything with these. Because the tree is in such a tight spot, it's hard to get a picture of it. Got a little vine problem going on too, you might notice. Here's one each of leaves, bark, and trunk.
We have to get rid of this thing pretty quick, only thing is the direction it's got to be felled is kind of boxed in with the woodpiles right now. It does look a bit like tree of heaven, but I believe tree of heaven has an airier, or fernier look of the overall effect of the tree/branches while this one looks a bit heavier, to me. I also do not recall it having the stinky pods or seeds or flowers or whatever it is they say grows on there.

34yr97a.jpg

leaves are not actually shiny, my flash went off because it was getting dark out

2le2h7c.jpg

those are bird pecking holes or something.

2hhdoyc.jpg

5wiclz.gif

ps. English Ivy sux

Leaves say ash, trunk says I don't know!

My Audubon Guide suggests Nutmeg Hickory but I wouldn't swear to that...

Hey dude,

thats a walnut tree.

it does kind of look like tree of heaven, but I don't think it is - because it looks like the leaflets are serrate on the edge. the leaflets on tree of heaven are smooth with a couple little glands sometimes near the base.

go crush one of the leaves - it should smell like a walnut husk.

if its tree of heaven it will stink like funky peanut butter - but its not tree of heaven. tree of heaven also has mostly smooth bark on a tree that small.

FLINT said:
Hey dude,

thats a walnut tree.

it does kind of look like tree of heaven, but I don't think it is - because it looks like the leaflets are serrate on the edge. the leaflets on tree of heaven are smooth with a couple little glands sometimes near the base.

go crush one of the leaves - it should smell like a walnut husk.

if its tree of heaven it will stink like funky peanut butter - but its not tree of heaven. tree of heaven also has mostly smooth bark on a tree that small.

If walnut, also check longitudnal cross-section of pith on twig - walnut has a chambered pith. Cheers!

No nuts though! Shouldn't I have nuts if it's a walnut? Or a hickory? Do some trees not get the "fruit?" Will try the tests you mention.
And yes, the leaves are slightly toothed, though not very deeply.

ALSO, I looked at some pics from when we bought the house 5 yrs ago and the tree was very much present, though smaller and less viny, but maybe not as fast-growing as I thought.

4lfzwh.gif

They also look like walnut leaves, but the trunk? i'm stumped

gzecc said:
Leaves say ash, trunk says I don't know!

No way (not in my experience). Most often ash has 7 leaflets, occasionally it could have 9, but I count 13 on most of those leaves; I just don't think there is any way it's an ash.

[quote author="tickbitty" date="1283937977"]OK, OK, got some bad pics! Thanks guys, see if you can do anything with these. Because the tree is in such a tight spot, it's hard to get a picture of it. Got a little vine problem going on too, you might notice. Here's one each of leaves, bark, and trunk.
We have to get rid of this thing pretty quick, only thing is the direction it's got to be felled is kind of boxed in with the woodpiles right now. It does look a bit like tree of heaven, but I believe tree of heaven has an airier, or fernier look of the overall effect of the tree/branches while this one looks a bit heavier, to me. I also do not recall it having the stinky pods or seeds or flowers or whatever it is they say grows on there.

34yr97a.jpg

2le2h7c.jpg

those are bird pecking holes or something.

2hhdoyc.jpg

5wiclz.gif

Shining Sumac?

http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=79

zap

I have a tree of heaven that is about the same size, doesn't look like that, I can post pics if someone wants me to, I've been meaning to cut it down since the seedlings spread like crazy and it is invasive. Doesn't look like hickory to me so I am saying Walnut.

It does look like a nut tree, but why aren't there any nuts?

tickbitty said:
It does look like a nut tree, but why aren't there any nuts?

OK, Mea culpa, I went home and did a little digging - there ARE NUTS and it appears to be a PECAN! (those are pecans, aren't they?) Duh. I feel pretty stoopid. But it's just been growing in this little jungle spot back there between the shed and the fence with these vines all around it, I just took it for a trash tree!! I knew there were no walnuts cause they have those big balls that rot and trip you up on the ground, we've had none of that. Now, this is a bummer, because I really don't particularly want to cut it now that I know it's a pecan tree, but it is only like a foot from the (cement block) shed!! I suppose we can't let it keep growing there without cracking up the wall? Bummer. Sorry about the false alarm, but this was a good test of everybody's diagnostics eh? Thanks for all the thoughts and help! The squirrels must get all these, they sure were not piled up on the ground or anything. It took a bit of scuffling around to find them.

2nvcsgl.jpg

oldspark said:
"No nuts though! Shouldn’t I have nuts" Bummer!

Might be a bummer for YOU if yours were missing... for me that is the appropriate condition!

Looks like pignut hickory to me.

If it's pecan I'm jealous... I have 3 small pecan trees in my yard that I planted this spring. I can't wait until they begin to bear pecans...

BTW, that tree will eventually have to come down. Pecan trees pretty much never stop growing, they can get VERY VERY large...

Status
Not open for further replies.