Tree ID Via a Leaf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2015
Delaware
Can anybody tell me the type of tree this leaf belongs too?

Attachments

• leaf II.jpg
    leaf II.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 106
Well, my first guess was southern red oak, Quercus falcata, but I wasn't sure if you have that in Delaware. Good thing I just happen to have a copy of "Delaware Trees" by William S. Taber, which does indeed list that species as occurring in your state! Leaves are highly variable, and the one you have is a pretty stunted one, but the detail on the species page in the book seems to cover your leaf shape.
IMG_0149.JPG

Pellet Pete, Thank you for responding! I will get that book that's for sure. I had a feeling it was a type of oak, this particular section of these woods is loaded with Red & White Oaks. This tree just stands out as different from the others. The leaf seemed like a mix of the Red & White wasn't sure if there was a cross pollination or something. Thanks again Pellet Pete!

There's a cool app also. Identifying trees from their leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.