Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
My neighbor had some trees taken down, some were maple and the rest was some kind I've never seen before although I did find a ton of these nuts all over the ground. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow to see if I can clean up the wood.
My guess is black walnut but I've never seen one before.

IMG_0926.JPG

Black walnut
they smell kind of citrusy astrigenty.
I have a couple of bushels I wanna try planting.
Thanks, yes they do, I smashed a couple open. Was going to ask if I plant of few of these will I be able to grow some trees, I guess I can. Can you eat them? How's the wood in the btu department? Lost all my bookmarks when my computer dies.

Fair for burning.

Its too beautiful to burn. lol
So grab a bunch of 'nuts' while you are getting the wood. The ones I got are really buggy looking. You would get lots of protein with your fats.
We buy bare root seedlings every year but none have taken yet.
The BTUs are middle range.

Supposed to be a little better than Black Cherry, and smell good when burning. I've got a little to try out this winter....

Burns ok, similar to cherry and silver maple. I can't stand the ash though.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Black walnut is some good mid range BTU firewood. As for the nuts get a large burlap bag and put them in hag in tree and wait till outer green shell rots off . wash them off and let them dry out ..yummy walnuts !

I have half a dozen very large walnut trees and many smaller. They grow like weeds from the walnuts that drop.
Burns ok a lot of ash. Almost like if you burn newspaper. Great aroma though.

Grama used to lay them on old newspaper on the attic floor to dry them out.

When handling the walnuts and removing the outer husk, it is a really good idea to wear either rubber gloves or an old pair that you can just throw away. Also, those husks can make some good dye. Trappers also used to use them on their traps to cover human scent.

One good reason to wear gloves is the god awful stuff sticks to your hands for days and your nails for weeks. How do I know? We'll I'm looking at my nails right now and it ain't purdy.

That is definitely the reason for the gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.