Tree ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfonahill

Aug 20, 2013
West Chester, PA
Came across this while walking the dog today. In the last pic you can see an Asian Longhorn Beetle trap. Must be a problem for the species...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383146307558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383146307558.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383146341261.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383146341261.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383146351990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383146351990.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 125
Box elder? Nasty growth pattern, suckers galore, and that sweet stinky bark?

Red stripes in the wood. Sorry its box elder:( It will season and be very light. Burns quickly.
It' s wood though. If you need something to burn its better than you know.

Reactions: wolfonahill
Have seasoned and burnt before, all I could find. Thank goodness the smell goes away once seasoned. Hey Wolf, next time you are walking the dog and pass the tree. Scratch the bark and take a smell, not good. Up in Michigan we call them ghetto palms. They will grow anywhere.

I'm just say'n! They will grow anywhere: 1" crack in the cement, right next to industrial buildings foundations, in your gutters. You can look for miles and miles and will not find a box elder growing. I truthfully think the seeds are produced by the clouds. The tree's need little or no water and little or no nutrients. That is a strong NO water/nutrients. Skip the tree and let the dog do his thing. Not worth it unless you are in a jam.

I'm just say'n! They will grow anywhere: 1" crack in the cement, right next to industrial buildings foundations, in your gutters. You can look for miles and miles and will not find a box elder growing. I truthfully think the seeds are produced by the clouds. The tree's need little or no water and little or no nutrients. That is a strong NO water/nutrients. Skip the tree and let the dog do his thing. Not worth it unless you are in a jam.
My exact sentiments.
Its true you never see a box elder growing in some majestic forest scene. more like between two junk cars. lol.
You hit the nail on the head Gunny.

My exact sentiments.
Its true you never see a box elder growing in some majestic forest scene. more like between two junk cars. lol.
You hit the nail on the head Gunny.

Burnin' through some last years cut Box Elder right now. Neighbor's clean up. Perfect for these mild fall days. I'll throw on a couple of Sugar Maple limb rounds before bed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.