Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Allow me to add to the mass of ID questions. The first two pics are of a tree which partially rotted and fell over, and the last two pics are of what I think is the same species of tree, but much larger and still standing.
Note the woodpecker marks in the first picture. Therefore, I'm guessing some kind of soft maple?

IMG_2337.jpg IMG_2338.jpg IMG_2339.jpg IMG_2340.jpg

The one in the first 2 pics kind of looks like a different tree than the one in the 2nd two pics. You sure they are the same species?

That looks like hickory. Once it dies it deteriorates rather quickly.

It's butternut (Juglans cinerea), suffering from and succumbing to the butternut canker.
Hmm...I wonder...these trees look really bad whatever the problem is. I would cut them up. Or brush fire them. Thats a sad deal.
I would disinfect my tools afterwards.
When you cut these trees you will know right away if its hickory or not.

Thanks for the responses. The bark is not as deeply furrowed as the butternuts around here. Perhaps some kind of hickory.. we have a lot of shagbark in the woods. I'm going to process the one that fell over anyway. I'll update again with pics of the split wood if I can't figure it out.

Pic #2 with the broken section sure looks like bitternut hickory. But that is some really messed up bark! Something has given those trees a rough way to go.

Hickory I think but it might be pretty far gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.