Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omaha419

Burning Hunk
Jul 19, 2015
Falling Waters, WV
c085922adf8640219f496a43ba103601.jpg
f329541d65a004c511a74c0491077f39.jpg

Found in a park in Hagerstown MD. Very decorative looking tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me of beech, but I thought beech grows straight up like a poplar. This shape of these trees reminded me of a giant dogwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) aka blue beech, muscle-wood, although leaves look shinier than typical. The link shows shiny leaves
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=h540
Distinguishing characteristics: double-serrate leaf margins with muscle-like smooth bark. Look for winged nutlets.
It's in the beech family, so its's a dense, good burning wood. It's a slow growing understory tree only growing about 30' tall.

Reactions: Omaha419
Erratum: It's in Betulacea - birch family

Reactions: Omaha419
Status
Not open for further replies.