Tree id?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgesek

Jan 2, 2015
CT
Anyone care to take a guess at this one? Cut down in MA. These were the branches...the stump was at least 6ft diameter! The last pic is a split I ran over the jointer. 20161008_182216.jpg 20161009_171157.jpg 20161009_171212.jpg 20161009_171311.jpg

Looks like an old maple of some sort to me, but I'm not a maple expert.

+1 silver maple.

So far I'm perplexed, but the Silver Maple I see doesn't have that dark heartwood...

If the leaf in pic three came from same tree, then surly a maple. Likely silver but the color of the heartwood is throwing me off a bit.

Once you split it you will know in about a years time. If it is light then silver, if heavy then some kind of hard maple. Either way, good score!

The leaf in the pic is likely not from the cut rounds. The heartwood is green/gray. Reminds me of the streaks in poplar?

The heartwood is green/gray. Reminds me of the streaks in poplar?
Yeah, I saw that as well. Bark sure ain't Tulip though...??

some of the bark in 1st pic looks like it could be a big old butternut - that has darker heartwood

Status
Not open for further replies.