Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
These are some shots of fallen trees that are literally 10 feet into the wooded area of my backyard. What kind of trees are they?

See attachments as I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos (actually ..... I just don't have the time right now :eek:)

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 540
just attach your pics below where it says attachments. you may need to resize them as well.

Looks like ash.

looks like poplar to me, but without a leaf or a split section it is nearly impossible.
And either way it is firewood so C/S/S it then burn it.

Think poplar bark is more pronounced. Looks to be rotting quickly. Look for D shaped holes in the bark, the size of a grain of rice. Evidence of ash borer.

I think it looks more like tulip poplar than ash - they both have the vertical diamond type furrows like that, but ash usually has little horizontal breaks in the furrows, while poplar doesn't.

can you post a close up picture of a twig from the tree - that will help immensely

I was looking at it again, and the ridges do look a little 'sharper' or narrower than poplar usually is - looks kind of like basswood - there are several species with bark like that actually.

looks like a black birch standing right behind that fallen tree so that gives a hint - although poplar, ash, and basswood can all be found with birch

Bet my life its not locust!

ash-bark-1.jpg
this is ash

3573185849_7e8201cb3a.jpg
this is locust

now that you can see the difference look at the Original pictures and compare ...what makes more sense ?

It looks more like Elm, not Ash.

I'm leaning towards ash. My boss just had a large ash tree taken down and I've been over there weekly helping him cut and helping myself scrounge. :lol:

If the leaves are compound, I'll go with ash.

It does not look like {black}locust to me. Of course, locust has compound leaves as well, but much diff from ash.

I will admit that Bass is somewhat similar in bark to ash. But if it's bass, it is not worth the effort involved in processing. The fact that they were felled and left makes me wonder if maybe they are Bass . . . Big, simple leaves by chance??

yeah, its definitely not locust. the bark is too tight to be locust, and locust don't have such a straight uniform trunk. poplar, ash, and basswood definitely can grow like that.

again, if you can get a twig - the very end of a little branch and post a pic of that, it will solve it.

FLINT said:
yeah, its definitely not locust. the bark is too tight to be locust, and locust don't have such a straight uniform trunk. poplar, ash, and basswood definitely can grow like that.

again, if you can get a twig - the very end of a little branch and post a pic of that, it will solve it.

Remember we are looking at Yaron2's initial pic not the others...

Locust

FLINT said:

I am going to vote for ash, since the bark looks ok for ash and the saplings in the foreground, which appear to be stump sprouts and might be from the same stump that the log came from, look like they could be ash. I have seen plenty of Black Locust with straight trunks, but I don't think this in one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.