Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
I know this may be difficult to figure out from this shot but I just want to throw it out there. I am trying to ID this tree. It's on my parents back property and sits in the dead center of it. It is really tall. The bark looks real thick. The center was knocked down by a hurricane in 1985, that is that weird spot at the top of the trunk. It is surrounded by oak, ash, hickory, and maples. I have seen pictures of really tall Poplars that look like this, but I have also seen some Oaks. Any guesses? We need to cut it down to put a pole barn in. Don't want it falling on it. In fact it could almost hit my parents pool that is a good 70+ feet away.

I will try to get some better shots soon.

Attachments

• treepic.jpg
    treepic.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 358
Wait a couple of weeks for leaves.

post a closer picture of the bark if you can,

from that pic though, my guess would be Tulip Poplar

Hard to tell could be a poplar although I have a tulip/yellow one just outside my front door about 20' from the house and 75' tall and its branches are way more droopy but the other tree outside my door 20' and 60' tall is more upright like yours and it's a silver maple . My BIL had a few poplar that looked like yours not sure what model they were.
The silver maple is starting to die so it comes down this spring.

Definately Poplar/Cottonwood. 100% certain.

that's a stove fodder tree

Status
Not open for further replies.