Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
IMGP1153.png
IMGP1154.png

This is the same tree. Can't seem to figure it out using any of the online tree ID websites I try. Any help appreciated!

Black gum (Nyssa sylvatica). Horrible to split, and not alot of BTU value. I've got some rounds of this that I cut about 4 years ago. I left it there that long because I couldn't split it with an axe, maul, wedges, or splitter. I just pulled it out the other day and tried at it with my fiskars super splitter. Only thing that happened was to leave a mark on the top of the round. I did manage to split it with the splitter though, finally after 4 years. Basically not worth the effort if you have other wood available.

Thanks, not looking to cut it (especially now!). More curious than anything.

Yeah, Black Gum. Birds love the fruit, and the tree turns bright red early in the fall. Makes a nice shade tree, although you rarely see it planted.

Wood Duck is right it does have great fall colors. I would say even better then oaks. I've seen colors from bright red to yellow all on the same tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.