Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe cottonwood? All wood burns. Hopefully someone will come along and say I'm wrong as it can only get better.

I vote for Tilia/basswood also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia_americana

It's main draw as wood is for carving.

Cottonwood would have a much rougher bark and huge ass buds. Leaf shape is kinda similar. If it was a smaller tree I'd think maybe Cercis canadensis.

Matt

Leaves look like American Basswood but the bark looks too smooth, maybe cause its a younger tree. Pulled out the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. Otherwise I would have no idea

Can't really tell how big those leaves are but it looks like a little leaf linden to me, no idea how it burns

I go for some type of Linden, too. I've got two on my property. As someone else mentioned, the bark is a little smoother on younger trees. Mine look identical, except with a little mare glossy leaf.

Little Leaf Linden is a more popular street tree than american Basswood. I think they are very closely related. Littleleaf Linden is a european species. This looks like one. Perhaps the leaves are less glossy than usual because it is fall and they are starting to turn.

Wood Duck said:
Little Leaf Linden is a more popular street tree than american Basswood. I think they are very closely related. Littleleaf Linden is a european species. This looks like one. Perhaps the leaves are less glossy than usual because it is fall and they are starting to turn.

Looks like the leaves are starting to turn on that tree. Little leaf linden is a very hardy species, very tolerant of less than deal environmental conditions, which is why it is such a poplar tree for planting along streets and in urban areas. It is a close relative of the American basswood, but I a pretty sure this tree is a little lead linden

Thanks for the replies. The tree is on one of my properties and is going as soon as it gets a little colder.

man, that doesn't look like the basswood that grows on the mountain slopes around here - neither the leaves nor the bark.

i thought linden was just another name for basswood?

Its definitely not cottonwood.

its so hard to ID trees growing in town - as it could be any weird ornamental tree.

maybe some kind of mulberry?

Could be Tillia Cordata (Littleleaf Linden) I can't remember how to tell them apart.

I've seen young Basswood that looks smooth...almost like a birch bark.

Matt

I would be very surprised if it isn't a littleleaf linden

FLINT said:
man, that doesn't look like the basswood that grows on the mountain slopes around here - neither the leaves nor the bark.

+1

The Basswood I have have very large leaves, and at the base of the leaf one side will be bigger than the other.

I know ya didn't ask my advice, but . . . an ornamental tree between the house and the street . . . I would leave it alone unless it's diseased. That hole where the tree used to be is not going to have much curb appeal.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

I know ya didn't ask my advice, but . . . an ornamental tree between the house and the street . . . I would leave it alone unless it's diseased. That hole where the tree used to be is not going to have much curb appeal.

This tree is in front of a rental property that I just purchased. One of the things I do on all my properties is try to limit my foreseeable liabilities and budget for immediate upgrades to keep a good tenant or make the property more "rent-able". In this case the tree has cracked and/or raised the sidewalk on two sides of the tree, one large branch came down a year or so ago (per a neighbor), and if/when this tree falls it would easily strike the house and/or the neighbors house depending on the way it lands. Additionally when speaking with the neighbor, he made mention that the sap and leaves from this tree lets a stain on any car parked around it.

I plan to re-pour the sidewalks sooner than later to correct that issue but do not want the new sidewalk to be damaged by the roots of this tree. Also with the on-street parking being what it is, I'd rather make the neighbor and current tenant happy by not having to deal with the marks on their cars...I'll probably spend a few hundred on curb appeal in the spring, but that tree will not be part of it.

I just looked up littleleaf linden, and your tree does look like the pictures I found online.

and in agreement with another poster, I'm usually inclined to leave trees be unless necessary to remove. Plus basswood(linden) is usually on the very bottom of the btu charts (below pine even).

[quote author="sgt7546" date="1287984338"]Alright gentlemen, what is it and how's it burn?

Makes great kindling, after cutting some I decided that I would use it for kindling and not the shoulder season.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.