Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
what say you?
District 2-20120821-00024.jpgDistrict 2-20120821-00025.jpg

I can say with some certainty that this is a tree . . . but that's about it.

Not sure
Definitely not birch or spruce :)

looks like chokecherry.?

I thought maybe persimmon... I dont know if they get that big, and the bark seems off?

Not for firewood. I see this tree on a Regular basis, on a trail. I was always curious, never knew what it was.

I am saying Black Tupelo, I have no idea what it is, I just think Black Tupelo sounds cool! That should be a song title.

Reactions: Blue Vomit
I think it looks like Black Tupelo aka Black Gum. The bark doesn't look quite like the big Black Gums around here, but the leaves do, including the few red leaves I see in the background. Black gum is among the first trees to turn red in the fall and turns a very bright red. The fruit also indicate Black Gum, and so does the structure of the tree - branches coming out of the trunk almost horizontally are typical of Black Gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.