Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesessiah

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2012
Lincolnton NC
first tree with a separate leaf picture...

leavesleft.jpg

treeleft.jpg

second tree, the tree looks about like the first one, probably 6" more in diameter but the leaves are different, and i'd say a little over 100'

unknowntreeright.jpg

third tree that i can't get a close up of until i clear the area, i'd be surprised if someone could identify it, but it looks like about 120' and massive

unknowntreerear.jpg

random question... could i cut down half of this sweetgum, and the other half stay alive? figured i'd try half of it if possible and not have this whole behemoth to cut if it's too much of a pain.

sweetgum.jpg

thanks for any responses.

SDC10278.JPGSDC10347-1.JPG Them leaves look like tulup poplar- not the best firewood not many BTUs

Put on your signature where you live, it helps with things like tree I Ds

I burn some black gum which it is a pain to split I cut the rounds in 6" pieces stack let set 6 months then burn, gum cookies, the big ones I split after it sits 6 months or longer

Reactions: wesessiah
tulip and sweet gum.

Reactions: wesessiah and ScotO
sorry, i thought i had already put my location in there... i'm in the foothills of nc. thanks for the id of the tulip tree, just wish it was something a little more useful because i have them all over the place. i'd imagine the massive one is the same because the leaves look similar. with the sweetgum i was more curious if half would live if i cut the other half down. it's pretty big so i'd like to figure out if i'd feel like cutting the whole thing by cutting up half of it first. any idea on the one with the elongated leaves? the bark looks similar to the tulip tree, but the leaves are different.

edit: after looking around, the second tree (third picture) has leaves similar to a beech, but the bark is not smooth.

Another vote for tulip poplar and sweet gum. The tulip poplar is pretty much near the bottom of the list in terms of BTUs but I have burned some. It burns pretty fast and doesn't give much in the way of coals. I haven't burned sweet gum yet but I have a bit on hand for this winter. It is a PITA to split I can tell you that! Not sure about the other tree. As for cutting the dead section, yes the other half of the tree can usually stay alive for a good while and cutting the dead half may actually help the live half. Many more insects in dead trees, plus more of a chance of it blowing into the live section, so if possible yes I would cut it.

Reactions: wesessiah
I agree obviously Tulip Poplar and Sweet Gum. I like Tulip Poplar because it is easy to process due to the straight trunks on most of them. Decent firewood in my opinion. I think it is possible to cut half the Sweet Gum and the other half should live. The remaining half will, however, be a little bit weak because it is lopsided. Even though the two sides of the tree aren't structurally connected, they do help portect each other from wind. At least I guess wind protection is how it works - it is common that trees seem to be weaker after nearby trees or parts of the same tree are removed.

Reactions: ScotO
a few more pictures if someone would be kind enough to identify these.
i'm guessing the first two are oak, but i'd like to know what kind. the third picture is of the lighter colored leaves in the foreground. also, what kind of oak would be located in nc with leaves about 3-4" long and the pointy parts (sorry, don't know the names) aren't very pointy and there's only little dimples between the three of them instead of them being separate? thanks.

z4.jpg

z3.jpg

z2.jpg

z1.jpg

The first two are oaks in the Red Oak group. Note the pointy tips to the leaf parts, each with a small hair . There are probably at least five or six red oaks that grow where you live so it will be hard to guess from your pics. I think the first one, with the deeply divided leaves could be Black Oak or Scarlet Oak (both in the Red Oak group with more or less identical wood), and the second looks like Northern Red Oak, but I can't be sure. The third tree looks like Black Walnut. An oak with rounded leaf tips and no hair at each point of the leaf is in the White Oak group. Your description sounds like Chestnut Oak.

In the future I think you'll get more responses if you post additional pictures of new trees as a separate post. A lot of times I don't revisit a thread once I have seen the pics and made my guess, and I bet others do the same.

Reactions: wesessiah and ScotO
That tulip poplar makes some good lumber.
yes it does! I'm sitting on a heap of boards drying in my garage right now! Saved 12 logs from a job we did over in the valley from going to my buddy's outdoor furnace. It'd been a shame to not have used them for lumber, lots of beautiful wood there. Wife now has TONS of wood to build crafts out of, and I got tons of wood to build shelves out of!

2012-08-17_12-28-46_522.jpg2012-08-19_19-08-18_158.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I agree with Wood Duck on his identification and the points he made. Dedicate one post per tree if you can in the future, it'll get you a more accurate answer. also, close-ups of the trunk bark and of the leaves will help even more. BTW, welcome to the forums!

thanks for the replies, and the tip about making a new thread. i used this one because of some other forums i go to frowning on multiple threads, so i wasn't sure of proper etiquette yet. guess i'll use some of this seemingly endless supply of tulip poplar to make a lean-to/shed for the oak and other hardwoods and toss the extra in with the rest.

Looks like a nice woodlot - look for some morel mushrooms near those poplars early next spring!

all i noticed this year were white mushrooms with large caps, mostly 6" or so wide. are they competition for morel mushrooms? more about my lot... it's like jurassic park for bugs and spiders. spider eating wheel bugs, wheel bug eating spiders, the praying mantises can't even seem to stay alive. got a pro to spray (organic) for spiders and he said he saw at least a few he'd never seen before.

Reactions: osagebow
The poplar is firewood I burn some, I seperate my types of wood, Oaks, Black Locust, Cherry, Red Maple, and sometimes poplar. I stack each in its own place because the drying times are different, and their burn charictoristics are different. When I stack in my woodshed I have choices, the differnt types of wood helps controll the temp.

So c/s/s that Poplar and Gum gives you something to burn, on a mild winter day.

i don't have all the acronyms down yet, what is c/s/s?

Don't feel too bad. I still don't know some of them. But the c/s/s comes up a lot and is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.