tree ident - I have an idea, just want opinions... (30 year old pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
sxn12b.jpg

Recent google map quest showed me that this tree, our "swing" tree in NY, (we haven't owned the house in 22 yrs) is no longer standing. Was trying to remember what kind of tree it was. We have an idea but I figured you guys might know.

REALLY big ash

Where in NY? Victim of Ash borer?

Nice ash

Gezundheit! Ha, thanks. Yes, one sister and I decided it must have been ash. She thought she remembered compound leaves and we knew there were no nuts. And it must have been a REALLY big ash by the time they took it down, more than 25 yrs after this pic was taken! I estimated from the aerial must have been within the last couple years. No idea how they even would have gotten a crane or anything in there to do it, either.

We had a swing on that tree that had one rope down the center of it and you'd swing and bang your feet on the tree to push off.
My dad looked at the bark in the pic and thought maybe poplar, but I really dislike poplars and feel like I would have remembered it if it was a tree I dislike so much! THe leaves, or the junk it drops on the ground year round!

Rockland County NY. Yeah probably the ash-borer. Bummer a pc of my childhood gone and I didn't even get to burn it.

That was my little mommy there. She was the greatest.

One look at the bark and I thought ash . . . even though I'm better at IDing trees by the leafs, I've cut enough ash to usually know its bark.

+100 Ash

I know everyone has said it before but, ASH!

Okay. Here is one more reinforcement. And that size ash is a dream for cutting into firewood.

I had a couple of Ash that big die from the blight. One was forked exactly like this one. The bark is a dead giveaway - for sure Ash.

Interesting! How big do y'all suppose it was 30 yrs after that picture? It was only recently felled.

Yep, I just got some ash trees from work that were forked just like that.Posted some pics. How awesome that you have a pic of 2 of your deceased loved ones in the same pic! I lost my mom almost 5 years ago,now. And ,man, do I miss her. She, too, was the greatest. AWESOME pic, Tickbitty!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62890/

Status
Not open for further replies.