Tree Identification Books

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a book from the wife for Christmas. I think she is finally giving in to my obsession with wood. The book is awesome, great pics and info on bark. I cut a ash down in front yard and was not sure what kind. After looking through book i`m certain it was green ash. Knowledge is everything. I just need to find some.

Attachments

• hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 391
I use the Grolier Field Guide to North American Trees by Thomas S. Elias. It appears to be out of print. I think my copy came from the Outdoor Life Book Club years ago. I would recommend it if you were able to find a copy of it somewhere.

PA. Woodsman said:
"National Audobon Field Guide to North American Trees" is another very good one....

zactly! But.... it will make your head spin.

I saw this at my local Borders Books and am considering purchasing it. It had good reviews from Amazon.com . I'll look into the other books that are recommended on this thread. Thanks for sharing these!

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 330
Sibley's Tree Field Guide just came out. Great book. I like the Audobon as well. Sibley has artist sketches rather than photos like the Audobon.

chachdave,
I went to Barnes and Nobles yesterday and saw the NWF Field Guide. After thumbing through the pages and seeing how nice the book was, I ended up buying it. Thanks for leading me on to it. I like that it includes range maps for each tree species. Tons of nice photos as well. At 530 pages, I'm sure it covers everything.
I'm looking at another book, John Farrar's Trees of the Northern United States and Canada. I'm just not ready to drop $50 on it. Ouch!

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 311
MyFyrByrd,
The book has a great layout. My wife got me 2 books the 2nd was a quick guide about 50 pages. I rather lug the 530 page book through the woods, and just maybe some day I won`t need it any more. For 50 bucks John Farrar's should come to your house to ID the splits. I hope my wife didn't spend that much, I could of got 4 new super splitter.

I just ordered "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees" thinking it was the same one mentioned in this thread but now I fear it may not be, National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American

dunno how to delete this post

CodyWayne718 said:
I just ordered "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees" thinking it was the same one mentioned in this thread but now I fear it may not be, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180454105507
Cody,
The National Wildlife Federation Field Guide is the one that was mentioned above. I purchased it from a local Barnes And Nobles Bookstore a few weeks ago. Awsome guide. The book I beleive you purchased has hand drawings rather that actual photos.

PA. Woodsman said:
"National Audobon Field Guide to North American Trees" is another very good one....
I have something simialr to the above but it is the "eastern region" It has color pictures and artist skeches.
Its awasom. Sorry to complicate things

MyFyrByrd said:
CodyWayne718 said:
I just ordered "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees" thinking it was the same one mentioned in this thread but now I fear it may not be, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180454105507
Cody,
The National Wildlife Federation Field Guide is the one that was mentioned above. I purchased it from a local Barnes And Nobles Bookstore a few weeks ago. Awsome guide. The book I beleive you purchased has hand drawings rather that actual photos.

The National Audubon Society book has spectacular photos and drawings as well. Very well organized by tree type. It has in depth descriptions of size, flowers, twigs, bark, fruit, range etc. Only thing missing are closeup photos of the split faces themselves. As a woodworker, I mostly give positive IDs by the wood itself and not the bark. Bark and trees are always confusing to me since I rarely harvest my own trees. I've been taking this field guide on canoe trips for the last few years, and I am slowly learning the trees themselves.

You will not be disappointed with the Audubon book.

Status
Not open for further replies.