tree or weed? id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycreecy

Sep 8, 2010
Westchester NY
Is this a tree or weed? Northern VA location.

Thanks. BPS id.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an invasive weed tree called a Tomentosa. Let it go as I did and it will become a
20 ft. small tree suitable to hang gourds on for birds. Its coming down this fall.
It has taken over with the shade of the big leaves it has. It does not seem to reseed at all.
If you only cut it down at the bottom it will grow back in the spring even stronger.!!!

I respectfully disagree with Pauly on the seedlings. I am currently trying to eradicate seedlings of this on my property from a 30' 16" diameter specimen I cut down 2 years ago. I live next to a national forest, so I may be more concerned about invasive trees than the OP. Very soft, weak wood. I would not want it next to a structure.
I agree on the growback potential - it's tough. That specimen would be hard to kill without chemicals, and even harder when it gets bigger.
AKA "Princess tree".

http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/pautoma.pdf

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I stand corrected Osage. I probably don't give seedling a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.