Tree removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Last week I saw an Asplundh pickup truck on my street. There was a trail of orange ribbons on trees and branches behind it. When I got to my house I saw that one of the stems of the Norway Maple From Hell at my house was tagged. I have been wanting to get rid of this tree for years, but with it being so close to the house and the powerlines I couldn't do it myself, and we really don't have the money right now. I went out and bought a roll of orange ribbon and wrapped the bigger stem to make sure the whole thing would be going. On Monday we got a notice from Con Ed that the whole tree would be removed!
This thing was a monster! We are so happy to have it gone, for free! They left all the big stuff. Most of the tree is so twisted and full of knots and little suckers that I won't even attempt hand splitting. I took what looked splittable and I'll let Asplundh take the rest. They left a bunch of other stuff behind that I will be collecting in th enext week or so.
Some before and after shots.
DSC06213.jpg

DSC06231.jpg

DSC06214.jpg

DSC06227.jpg

What they left
0720102001.jpg

What I took.
0720102027.jpg

I guess I am a firewood snob now. Or, maybe I am just spoiled by all the easy splitting Red and White Oak I have been scrounging for the last few months. Nice to be far enough ahead that I can be picky, even with stuff dropped on my side yard!

I think they were gonna take the whole thin anyway, but, I wasn't going to take any chances.

Yeah, I like the orange ribbon thing, too! I'm impressed. Having seen what can happen with the town or state decides to "cheap out" you could have been left with a real mess, lol.

And I'll be you were some glad to see that thing gone for nothing. That would have been an expensive one to remove. We have one that needs attention and I'm not looking forward to the "tab", at all.

That will bring a lot of light in the yard. I'm curious, where did you shoot the 'before' picture from. Looks like you climbed a tree or a tower.

I have an old bridge in front of the house. It is closed to vehicular traffic but gets us across railroad tracks and to the Hudson River about 1500' away.

Attachments

• DSC06233.jpg
    DSC06233.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 343
Status
Not open for further replies.