Tree service Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Delivered - all Oak

Hope my 20 inch bar can cut the big stuff.

Buttermilk Falls looks nice when the leaves drop and you can see the whole falls,

Attachments

• 101_0584.jpg
    101_0584.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 589
  • 101_0585.jpg
    101_0585.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 101_0571.jpg
    101_0571.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 589
Nice score !!!

I wish I could find a tree service around me that would deliver some wood like some of you. But alas, most (every one I have found) either sell it or burn themselves.

Shawn

Wow! That oak is beautiful, and certainly big! I love getting the big stuff - straight like you have - a bit of a workout to buck, but the number of splits from a single round is awesome - congrats! Cheers!

Nice wood score . . . very pretty waterfall.

This is a great deal for me. I may never have to scrounge again. He lives near me, but his business is down in Bergen County - closer to NYC.. With all the storm damage work, his lot is over flowing. He does firewood too, but he's run out of room and has been bringing loads home to neighbors. I gave him $ for his gas, just to keep it coming. I have a bunch of places to easily drop wood. Back up and dump. He said he'll bring me some more! Might become an issue where I'll need to buy a bigger saw! Not a bad problem to have. He seems to think my 20 inch bar will buck these. I hope he's right. I wlll find out saturday!

basswidow said:
Delivered - all Oak

Hope my 20 inch bar can cut the big stuff.

Buttermilk Falls looks nice when the leaves drop and you can see the whole falls,

Nice score basswidow, better get that cut up before it starts heading down the hill.

zap

I just split up some oak the other day - I love the smell of freshly split oak in the morning. :)

Nice looking btu's you have sitting there!

There are at least 3 Buttermilk falls in NY. . .where in NJ is that one?

BTW< you owe the tree service
glenfiddich-18yo.jpg

zapny said:
Nice score basswidow, better get that cut up before it starts heading down the hill.

zap

You're right about that Zap. We off loaded in the dark last night and I was concerned that one might get away from us. I am glad no one got hurt. I also have children who like to climb - so I wanted to make sure these were chalked and wouldn't move. I can't imagine if one of those rolled down hill - it would be a killer. I also wanted to make sure It didn't hit my well head which is right there in the bushes!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
There are at least 3 Buttermilk falls in NY. . .where in NJ is that one?

BTW< you owe the tree service
glenfiddich-18yo.jpg

It's funny how many duplicates there are in names of places.

This falls is in the Delaware Water Gap Park in Sussex County NJ, not far from the WalPack Inn.

http://waterfalls.nature.st/NewJersey/Sussex.html

There are some really nice waterfalls in the area, Dingmans, Childs Falls, etc. The National Park Service has built nice walkways for viewing and hiking. This is roughly 10 minutes from home. I'll be honest, I was secretly looking for wood to scrounge as I drove the family there for a hike! I can't help it, there's no way to turn it off.

Its nice to have a friend in the tree business. I came home from work today to find my friend dropping off a few cords of Red Oak in my driveway, some nice lookin stuff. I am always offered big quantities of wood, but I dont have enough property to keep it. I get a few cords delivered at a time, thats about all I can handle. I process all my wood in my driveway. Gettin ready to put up a nice woodshed to keep everything nice and neat looking. It never hurts to ask a tree service when they are working if you could grab some wood from them. The worst that could happen is that they could say no. You would be surprised how many tree guys are willing to give ya some wood, other then pay to get rid of it. Gotta get a photobucket account to put up some photos.

Awesome!
I think you'll have fun cutting with the 20".
Keep a wedge handy, just in case.

Wow. That looks like an awesome score. And it sounds like you have made a nice connection! Find out what kind of beer he enjoys when you hand him a cold case of good stuff the next time he delivers you a load. You will have no problem with those with a little rolling and cutting! Thanks for the picks. Don't forget your chaps. Did you read that thread about the close call recently. I forgot who posted it, but damned if he wasn't lucky. I wear my Stihl chaps everytime I fire the 18" Farm Boss up. Have a good one man. I think you are going to enjoy this Saturday.

It pays to ask around. I have two tree service guys offering wood. One guy delivers and the other has me picking up. Got Maple, Elm, and Walnut this year so far. Also I have connected with two land owners who let me cut fallen timber - Oak, Elm, and Cherry. Just asking around can go a long way. I also had this guy offer me some cedar that he was taking down. It didn't look like much, so I committed to taking it all. Well about 2.5 cords later, I know what I'm burning the Fall 2012 shoulder season.

Another fella offered me a ton of free chunked basswood. Can't decide whether to take it for the shoulder seasons or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.