Tree Tops ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Family had a bunch of land logged last year. We still have a ton of tops that need to be cut up. My question is, do you think after they have been C/S/S they should be ready to burn this year, given the fact it was logged 1 1/2 years ago.

What kind of trees? Oak, probably not. Ash, maybe. Poplar, rotten.

I recently split some red oak tops that had been cut almost 2 years and still had a MC of 36 or so

do you think after they have been C/S/S they should be ready to burn this year, given the fact it was logged 1 1/2 years ago.

If you hurry, almost anything but the oaks might be.
It's June! Hurry you are 2 months behind.
Now you might get 4 to 5 months of seasoning time.
Like said, that's OK for some wood (ash , poplar, soft maples, cherry) but not the Oaks, hard maple, the heavy denser wood.

Nice thing is if you get it done soon. most of it (not the oak) will be great wood for next burn season.

Can you buy some (not oak) from a seller that has some stacked & ready to sell, it might be good to go this Fall.
Get it stacked in single rows in a windy & sunny spot to give it the best chance to be burnable.

"You burn what you got, seasoned or not " ;)
Just inspect/clean the chimney often !

Reactions: TreePointer
Treetops are just like any other wood; that is, you need to c/s/s to get seasoning started. There may be some small branches that have dried, but the rest of it seasons according to normal schedule.

Family had a bunch of land logged last year. We still have a ton of tops that need to be cut up. My question is, do you think after they have been C/S/S they should be ready to burn this year, given the fact it was logged 1 1/2 years ago.

Depends much on the type of trees but most will not be ready. However, some could be ready if you get it cut and split yesterday. Stack it where it will get lots of wind too. Any oak, don't get too excited as the chance of that being ready is about zero. But we could perhaps answer better if we knew what kind of wood you have.

I think a lot of it will be ready if you get it in and split now. I have been working on an area that was logged early March last year and the tops that we were cutting about a month ago were quite dry. As already stated though and I can verify the oak will not. Now I will say if the tops are or parts of the tops are laying on the ground that section will not be quite the same. disclaimer : I did not test with a moisture meter because I don't have one nor did we try with my friends that is working with me. I am mainly talking ash,cherry and soft maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.