Tree /Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Stump & tree at bottom of pic 4, top of that pic is diff, tree.

The rest are 2 diff trees that were next to each other and look the same
In pic 1 never mind the scuffed up spring pole

IMG_20130414_154641.jpgIMG_20130414_154648.jpgIMG_20130414_154728.jpgIMG_20130414_155041.jpgIMG_20130414_160255.jpg

Reactions: Thistle
Elm

Reactions: zap and Jon1270
Ellum

Winged elm

Definitely elm but what is that apple doing in that one picture?

I concur . . . American elm.

Elm - did you hit the fence? Be aware that an old fence like that may have grown right into and through the tree. Well, actually the tree grows around the fence.

Definitely elm but what is that apple doing in that one picture?
Which pic

Elm - did you hit the fence? Be aware that an old fence like that may have grown right into and through the tree. Well, actually the tree grows around the fence.

The elm was clear of the fence, The ash grew into it ,but was cut off above the fence, I'm not sure exactly how I'm going get the rest of the ash stump out.
The 2 elm trees were right next to the dead ash ,so had to come down to.

I didn't think this might be elm cuz the small piece I split pretty easy, I had some elm from a scrounge before but it had no bark so, I didn't know what elm bark looked like, now I do :) This is green, how long will it take to dry ??

Thanks all, for the help

CSS now and, depending on your location and climate it could be ready for next year. If you have two years even better but it it is needed it should burn. As always, when trying to hurry wood in a single season go with the best airflow spot you have in single rows.

CSS now and, depending on your location and climate it could be ready for next year. If you have two years even better but it it is needed it should burn. As always, when trying to hurry wood in a single season go with the best airflow spot you have in single rows.
By the time I'm done scrounging up all the dead stuff including the ash all over the place, I probably won't need the this elm next winter, probably use it next spring.

On the Pallet Pete Pallets I have, I'm stacking two rows on the 4ft wide pallet so I have about a foot between rows.
The best place to put stacks would be ,smack in middle of back yard on my 3/4 acre property, not going to do that so, stacks are 10ft from edge of woods.
I was going to have them going N/S, but I think I should have them E/W , so the wind coming from the west can go through the center space, right now only have a cord and a half split, to rearrange.

On the elm drying. When you see the really stringy stuff, that will dry super fast; a matter of a few months. Otherwise, as Bob stated, a year or two if possible for best burning.

On the elm drying. When you see the really stringy stuff, that will dry super fast; a matter of a few months. Otherwise, as Bob stated, a year or two if possible for best burning.

Ok , well I will see how the green elm is next march.
So,, What kind of elm bark is used for medicinal purposes ?? and I read could be worth $300.00 a pound, any one know any thing about it ;?

What kind of elm bark is used for medicinal purposes ?? and I read could be worth $300.00 a pound, any one know any thing about it ;?
Slippery (Red) Elm. Don't know much about it other than that...

If you look at a vitamin catalog or web site you'll find slippery elm is very popular and is used mainly for the digestive track and exiting the bad stuff like we should do daily.

Sorry I missed that question. The second picture. Looks like a yellow apple laying there.
Oh ya I saw that , it is a baby's toy with a ball at each end, clear in the middle , look close ,hard to tell in pic :)
Found a Tonka back hoe, and a couple toy guns out there to ,I guess the kids liked throwing their toys over the fence ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.