trees in sand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Will growing in sand affect a trees burning or cutting abillity? A side of our timber is along a river so its real sandy ground. I seem to have to sharpen my chain more on that side of the timber. thats the only reason i could come up with.

If there's sand in/on the bark, then it will dull your chain much more quickly. Growing in the sand won't really change the consistency of the tree as far as cutting it goes.

For sure don't drag the logs or trees across sand or you will definitely have a problem with dulling chains. Our whole property is sand but it doesn't bother the chains unless I try to cut the sand.... Yessirree. Touch the ground once with a chain and it matters not whether it is sand, clay or loam, that chain will dull fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.