Trees in yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
The weather is holding out so I am finally getting to some dying trees in our yard. I hope to have 5 of them down, cut, split and stacked this week. Should be good for next year.I was able to get the one on the left down last night but too dark for pictures. Of course it hung up and took a bunch of extra cutting to get it to finally drop. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

DSCN0621.jpg

Two in front yard.
DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0622.jpg

Three off the rear corner of the house. (Any idea why these pictures are not showing up as thumbnails?)

Like Zap says
GIBIR; (Get it before it rots) :)

Good time of the year to get the job done.
May the wind be calm & the saw sharp ;)

Those look like some good BTUs there BillsWS. Be safe while you do it. And have fun. Nothing like a nice peaceful day of work like that.

(Any idea why these pictures are not showing up as thumbnails?)

I think it is because they are hosted on Photobucket (you inserted links to them in your post), and were not uploaded to hearth.com as image files.

Where I started this morning:

Lunch time I had this much done and didn't get too much more due to errands and other "to do's"

Nice work Bill. Making immediate progress. Nothing like it. Would you care for a temporary job on Capitol hill for a month and half?

Bogydave, there hasn't been any wind to speak of, but I am still using a cable and come-along to put a good pull in the right direction before I cut (= amateur). Gasifier, you're right, great day to work around the house. Plus that next cup of coffee is never too far away. Thanks but no to the Washington offer. I had better keep stockpiling wood, the accountant said the tax rate is going up to 39.9 next year. Whitepine, thanks for the tip. I will keep looking into how to post in thumbnail format.

Progress report: the second tree (the larger of the two) is down. When I quit last night the second row of c/s/s was filled. I will be starting on the 3rd row this morning. If I get more trees down before snow flies I will need to add more rows. I picked up a gun cabinet from Craigslist Friday. I want to do a light sanding and put a couple coats of clear coat in it before it makes it way into the basement. My guns can finally come out of the closet : )

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0658.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

Bill, that is a beautiful piece of land you have and a beautiful house to match. Sure wish we lived closer because if we did I'd have come over to cut those trees for you.

Reactions: ScotO
Bill, that is a beautiful piece of land you have and a beautiful house to match. Sure wish we lived closer because if we did I'd have come over to cut those trees for you.
Great offer Dennis, but really, I'd rather you come and sit by the fire, have a cold one or a cup of coffee (I like chocolate in mine) and tell a yarn or two. You and the bride are welcome any time.

I am glad to report I am done with the two main trees. I didn't get to the ones behind the house, they will have to wait till next weekend. Now it is time to get a couple of errands done and head to the cottage to watch a movie in the easy chair (sleep).

Attachments

• DSCN0663.JPG
    DSCN0663.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 170
You are hired? Come on over, I'll provide beer and food...I make a mean hot chocolate (Trader Joe's sipping chocolate yummmm)...

Bill, if we ever get back up your way we'll happily take you up on the offer.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice work Bill. Beautiful house, too! I love the layout of your property. And that gun cabinet looks great! Did you get it at an unfinished furniture place or did you re-do a used piece? I need a new gun cabinet....I've got guns in the attic and out in the barn because of lack of room in the cabinet!

mfglickman, when I drink beer I turn useless pretty quickly. Keeping the beer out of reach until the job is done is the ticket. Better than a carrot. Dennis, now you have a reason to come up. ScottyOverkill. The gun cabinet was a steal. I don't think the folks who sold it knew its value. The photo shows it right after I unloaded it. I haven't touched it yet. It is in beautiful shape but I want to varnish all the areas the manufacturer didn't (like the top and back) and sand down where it was left rough from the factory (like some inside parts) and put a few coats on to make it nice and smooth. Thanks for the compliments on the house too.

Great pictures,nice to be outside getting things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.