Tremont 340 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exj2

Feb 6, 2008
Northern Virginia
Ed here. I am looking for information on the Tremont 340 wood stove. A dealer has a used one that he wants to sell me for 500.00. I read yesterday that the Tremont insert had some safety problems and I was wondering if their free standing stoves had safety problems too and is that why they are out of business?????

I have not seen it yet but he tells me it is in great condition. So far he has been very honest in all my other dealings with him.

Any information would be appreciated.

[email protected]

Ed

Hi Ed, welcome. I haven't heard of this stove. However, for just a little more money there are safe, EPA approved stoves that we can recommend. For example, currently Home Depot is selling out Englanders as they make room for garden supplies.

I would buy new and start out right. What size stove are you looking for? How much space are you trying to heat?

Tremont has not been in business for many years. I don't think they had any particular problems, but this unit is so old that you might think twice. If my memory servers me well I would guess that Tremont was bought by Harman about 1992....and Harman did not really continue most of the models, so it will be extremely difficult getting information and parts.

I'm not saying that your dealer is ripping you off. An inserts of a decent size in good condition can surely be worth $500. But at the same time you might want to consider the ups and downs of newer (cleaner) stoves. Does the unit you are looking at have a catalytic converter?

Here is a guy who you can PM or email that has a Tremont insert and a manual for it.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12404/P15/#138995

Thanks. I am getting a good education here. This stove is free standing with a rear vent. I assume it fits in the fireplace a little and the flu is fitted to the lined chimney I have. I just sent out a request for info on the stoves one of the guys recommended at Home Depot. From other comments it appears that I should look at a little better stove then the low priced ones at Home Depot.

Thank to yawl from Ed the newcomer. :)

I appreciate all the info and time you are spending.

Ed

Ed it depends on what you like and what you can afford. If you like the stove at Home Depot, the Englander is a heck of a stove and is priced right.
If you want something that is a bit more upscale and you like the looks of something else, then that is for you.
One thing is for sure, you are well advised to go with something that is a modern (current) EPA approved stove as it will burn better, use less wood, create less creosote and heat your house better than Classic or unapproved stoves.
Since you already have a liner (I'm assuming stainless steel) you should be able to get a good stove in there and be happy a long time.

If it is a Treemont 340C it is 2.8 gph cat stove.

The Englander is a fine stove or I wouldn't have recommended it. But there are many other stoves to choose from. What would help is to know what you are trying to heat.

PS: Maybe you misunderstood the dealer. Perhaps he was offering to pay you $500 to take the old stove off his hands :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.