Tremont Wood F.P. Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LovesWood

Dec 4, 2005
I just bought a used Tremont woodburning fireplace insert. the problem is that it did not come with the metal pieces that bolt to the sides and top of the insert and seal the fireplace around the insert. first I need to know what these pieces are called, and secondly, where can I find these pieces to fit my insert?

That 70's type of insert cannot be installed per modern codes, it has to be vented 1/2 way up the first flue liner The damper must be removed and the damper area metal plated to block off room air from escaping up the chimney, or back drafting exhaust containing Carbon momoxides. The face seal insert proved not to be all that safe as the seal often did not do its job. All to often exhaut gasses leaked into the living space. I would highly recomend that, you never install that stove. It is my oppinion it is unsafe to opperate. The risk is too great concerning your safety. You will never get a permit so it would have to be installed illegally.

Thanks for your informative reply. I will heed your advice. I sure am glad I found this forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.