Tricks to jacking up a two axle trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to under coat my horse trailer.
It has two axles.
How would you jack this up high enough to work under it?

How are you under coating it? Sprayer?
It would be hard to get it up high enough without a lift I think.
Maybe a tractor or excavator to lift it up one side at a time, and block it or something.
Or use the excavator to dig a hole, and park trailer over it haha.
Maybe drive it up on some ramps.
Either way you're going to end up on your back

Try dropping the tongue all the way to the floor and put stands as far back as possible, raise the tongue back up and support it. that should give you a foot or so.

Reactions: Jazzberry
If it were me I'd take it to the local rust proofer.
For the little it will cost to rust proof . This out weights
the aggravation of jacking it up crawling under it
only to be covered in dripping rust proofing . Jacking
it down and cleaning up . Just my 2 cents worth

Reactions: Ashful
I have used the tongue jack on a boat trailer to lift a boat a couple feet up by lowering the front all the way down then putting cinder blocks under the rear. Then raise the front all the way up and add cinder blocks to the front. You can add cinder blocks to the wheels and repeat the teeter totter procedure to go as high as you want if your feeling lucky.

Last edited:
Trailer%20on%20ramps_zpsnecyrldw.jpg

This is what I ended up doing!
Started with 14" at the back end, then on ramps 29".... made life a little easier!

Reactions: TreePointer
I have a 25 ton crane that I used to build my log home. I pick up the trailer by the hitch and suspend it in the air . Then scrape , prime , then paint . Rubberized undercoating usually peels of in a year or 2.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I have a 25 ton crane that I used to build my log home. I pick up the trailer by the hitch and suspend it in the air . Then scrape , prime , then paint . Rubberized undercoating usually peels of in a year or 2.

We have a winner in the how to paint the bottom of your trailer contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.