Tricky Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple

Aug 27, 2015
Vancouver Island
Hi all,

I've got a fireplace (masonry) I'm looking to put a stove into. However, there are a few considerations (I'm picky!) as to what size/type stove I may be able to put in...

The fireplace is surrounded by a wooden mantle/bookcase that we want to keep (picture and dimensions below). Obviously this is going to require some heat-shielding.

An insert makes the most sense, but I'd really like to avoid needing a powered fan if at all possible, so I'm hoping to find a stove that would fit.

On the other hand, I don't want it (or the hearth) to protrude into the living room that much (talk about conflicting needs!). I realize, whichever route I go, I will likely have to extend the tile hearth or add an additional hearth overtop.

Preferably it would have a nice window for viewing the fire, but firebox size and heat output is of minimal concern. This is supplemental heating, and anything will be better than burning in the fireplace.

So, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions of approach? Is there any free-standing stove that could fit in there? One that doesn't require sticking out of the fireplace too much? Am I stuck with an insert?

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

Craig

Dimensions

Fireplace
Height: 26.25"
Width: 24.5" in the rear, tapering to 36" at the front.
Depth: At the bottom it's 16", but 11" up it begins to taper forward until the depth is only 12" at the top.
Centre of Flue: ~6.5" from front of fireplace

Wooden Surround
H: 40.5"
W: 41.25"
D: 9.5"
(The mantle has a top lip at 45.5" in height that protrudes another 3" in depth)

3LqPzNP.jpg

Looks like the little Jotul F100 would fit with protective ventilated heat shielding on the sides and top.

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 9.12.50 AM.png

Oooh. That's quite interesting. I did some measuring against the manual and it looks like it will fit nicely, and not require the top heat shielding (it needs 39.5" to the closest point of the mantel and I've got 40.5"), just the side-shielding.

Bonus of bonuses, it looks like it won't require any changes to the hearth! By my calcs, I've got about 1.5" of extra clearance based on where I think the stove would have to sit for the top-vent.

So sweet. Thanks for the tip!

So, I've got another couple questions about the F100 clearances (or with any stove for that matter). The F100's manual lists clearances for the Mantel and the Trim.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the trim below the mantel is actually 'floating' 9" away from the tile fireplace front. If you can picture it, it's tile all the way to the underside of the top of the Mantle, with a wooden board coming down off the mantel 9" away from the tile.

Does that count as trim or mantel? How might that affect clearances?

Is it best just to shield it, even if it technically fits all the clearances?

--

Also, with the F100 in my fireplace, it would only stick out of the tile fireplace by about 3" (and be 6.5" deep within the wooden surround). I'm only looking for supplemental heat in a temperate climate (I'd be happy with the heat of the open fireplace, but is just so wasteful).

Am I going to regret putting a small stove in there instead of a bigger insert?

I'm really not that keen on needing a blower. And with a free-stander, it looks like I can add a decent blower for under $200 (as described elsewhere on here).

So, with a good blockoff plate will a little free-stander throw as much heat as the open fireplace? If so, I'm probably happy with that.

And if I went whole-hog and insulated my firebricks, even added a blower, am I basically getting close to the output of a small insert with the free-stander? If that's the case, then I prefer the esthetics of the free-stander.

Thanks!

So, with a good blockoff plate will a little free-stander throw as much heat as the open fireplace? If so, I'm probably happy with that.
It will put out much more heat than a open fireplace.

And if I went whole-hog and insulated my firebricks, even added a blower, am I basically getting close to the output of a small insert with the free-stander? If that's the case, then I prefer the esthetics of the free-stander.
With a free stander all the way in the firebox you wont get any beifit over an insert if anything it may be a little worse. but if you insulate the firebox and use a blower it will be comparable to a similarly sized insert.

Reactions: Temple
It will put out much more heat than a open fireplace.

Even pushed right into the fireplace? If, so I can look at adding the extra bits (blower/insulation) as necessary/desired.

I suppose adding the blower would have the biggest advantage, with the insulation in front of the firebricks just squeezing out a few extra percentage points?

That underside area should be shielded with a mantel shield on 1" non combustibles spacers. It should extend at least an inch past the mantel face and extend past the width of the stove top.

The stove is small, but it will get hot. It just won't burn for very long with each fuel charge. I would expect 2-4hr. burn times.

A basic fan like this on low speed, blowing toward the back of the fireplace, can move a lot of heat.
http://www.target.com/p/honeywell-turboforce-air-circulator-black/-/A-11153539#prodSlot=_1_1

Reactions: bholler
I suppose adding the blower would have the biggest advantage, with the insulation in front of the firebricks just squeezing out a few extra percentage points?
is the fireplace on an interior or exterior wall?

Exterior wall (projecting out). But it rarely gets below freezing here.

If it is an exterior wall insulating the fireplace will make a big difference.

I have one like that fan. It is not the quietest except on the lowest speed but would work.

Okay, new question: What clearances do I need for the Jotul F100 in my fireplace?

It's going into the fireplace (almost all the way in), and the manual lists clearances to mantel/trim, but only where the side/top trim is maximum 1" deep. We have a bookcase/mantel surround that's 9" deep.

This case looks like it falls somewhere outside the standard fireplace install, but doesn't really seem to fit with the other measurements.

I've been looking for the actual code (CAN/CSA-B365) to see what it says, but can't find a free copy anywhere. Does anybody have a copy they'd like to share?

Any WETT gurus out there that can offer any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.