Tridicator Gauge Failure- Again, and Again, and then Again?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I installed two tridicator on supply and retunn of the boiler loop. Both gauges failed, one immediately then the other two weeks later. Fogged right up with moisture collecting. I capped the tees and waited to replace them untill changing the boiler. I finally changed the boiler and reinstalled two new gauges of a different brand, making VERY SURE gauge would not bottom out in the tee and to use a wrench on the stem to just snug and NOT twisting the gauge by the face. Only pipe dope no tape. Nothing. No temp change when the boiler fired up on either gauge. Airbound? Loosen the gauge and water right behind it so I take them back and put in two more. Two new ones work so I figure: Go figure?

I wake up this morning and one gauge is fogged up. WTF is going on here? At this point I know its me, but I can't tell what. The gauge is good from 250f and 60psi. I'm not using tape, only dope. I could see if the pressure/head faied because it fouled but what about the temp and fogging? At this point I'm thinking to abandon them and continue to use an infrared themometer.

I used to work for a boiler manufacturer, and brand new tridictors showing bad readings or fogging up is not uncommon. Most homeowners wouldn't know this, and it's not the type of thing a service guy would bring their attention - so cheap dictates the design. You seem to be having real bad luck though! Are the gauges installed into bushings that might be out of round, and distorting the gauge body?

Ward fittings, and they're pretty smooth going in so I didn't think anything of it. I'm going to abandon the tridicators, and get some thermowells so I can install a digital sensor or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.