Tried a new loading method

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
Started the stove this morning after cleaning out ashes. Had a small coal bed after a couple of hours so I thought I would try loading the stove a little different. I have read some posts on here about putting a piece of wood in the back of the firebox EW and then loading. So I raked the coals forward as normal and placed a small split in back of the firebox EW. Then loaded 5 medium splits of Sassafras NS on top of the coals. This left an inch or two space below the splits. Fire took off good and had it turned down in 30 minutes with the stovetop up to 620 putting out good heat. About 2 hours later the fire had burned down about half and the stovetop was down to 530. Went and took a shower and came back out in about 20 minutes and looked at the stove expecting lazy burn and lazy secondaries. Instead I had crazy secondaries and stovetop was back up to 620. I have never had a fire do that before. Was wondering if it had something to do with placing that spit in the back of the stove.

Elevating the wood to allow air under it can do that. Some stoves say not to use andirons or grates to do that but of course, they can't tell you not to put wood in there so you're off on a technicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.