Tried and True Woodburners!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, my daughter is getting married and last night is was dinner with the new in-laws!

(Hello Bill - PS, he got this URL after we talked......un oh! I hope he approves of my political leanings).

Turns out that he and his better 1/2 (candy) are true burners. They live outside of Boston about 25 miles, have 20 acres and cut all their own wood. They built their own house in 1980 and designed it to be heated with two woodstoves.....currently a Defiant Encore and an Intrepid.

Bill is a master woodworker (hobby) and claims to have built some really nice looking wood racks which hold a cord each - gypsy wagons, he calls them as they have curved tops. Once he shows up here we'll get him to upload the pics!

He is also looking for some new stoves - the Encore is going on 15 years and they are ready to replace. They beat up on these stoves pretty bad - often using the Intrepid ONLY to heat the entire house. He claims they fire it like a locomotive going uphill.

Anyway, it is an interesting coincidence (or fate) that my future in-laws are part of the rare breed that never stopped burning wood!

Nice...Congrats! Glad to hear you will have some common ground.

So Web? With the prospect of having new In-laws...does that mean you are going to be "getting out more and seeing more of the state"??? How does the thought of "possible venturing 'closer to the city'" sit with you? 20-25 miles from Boston "put's them inside the 495 belt"...No? (some source of your 'skepticism' on politics???...lol)

Looks like Craig is going to need something like the "Corie Fund" to pay for a wedding soon. Glad the shop is already done!

Don't have to visit the in-laws often since I am one step removed (my daughter has to) - but they are really nice folks! They are in the area where the Marathon starts - but they mentioned that they have not visited Boston for many years!

So I guess that there is Boston and then the rest of the state....although our area has more in common with VT, NH and even the area of NY state and Ct which abuts it. In other words, this is nowhere!

Don’t have to visit the in-laws often since I am one step removed (my daughter has to) - but they are really nice folks! They are in the area where the Marathon starts - but they mentioned that they have not visited Boston for many years!

So I guess that there is Boston and then the rest of the state....although our area has more in common with VT, NH and even the area of NY state and Ct which abuts it. In other words, this is nowhere!

Web..I hear that! "Up here on the hill" I think we could be considered an "Annex of southern NH"

Gateway to the Mohawk Trail??? lol

Perhaps in the future...I might "move west"...the sprawl is getting closer and closer and it isn't a good feeling. They don't call (Gardner) it "G-Vegas" for nothing!

The Berkshires and Housatonic River Valley have some magical spots. It IS like a whole different state. I love that region.

Congrats Craig, maybe you can help rebuild those stoves and they could get another 15 years out of them?

How do their politics lean :)
Great that there is some common ground, that one hurdle cleared.

My parents have more in common with you as far as that goes than me Web and we get along................. FINE ;)

Didn't ask their politics, but being from New England, looking fairly fit and normal, educated, burning wood, building a house from scratch for wood heat, etc....... likely they are typical Mass. residents...

I have relatives all over the (political) map, and we all get along cause I don't tell them what to do and they don't tell me. In the end it's about what you do, not what you say or even what you think... I only can think of one set that are Bush lovers but they don't even know why (their dad told them to be). So I certainly can't debate with them!

Being that the Groom and Bride are older (30's) - I won't have to deal with a lot of the normal stuff of parents controlling the young marrieds, etc....

Key, we're waiting for you out here in the Pioneer Valley.

As far as the wedding $$ - yeah, it's my daughter and tradition reins, which means I am forking over! Luckily, WebWidow and my daughter are playing a game of attempting to shave money (while maintaining quality) off of EVERYTHING. We're not doing the $50-100,000+ thing......but we will have a live rock and roll band, a completely open bar with all good stuff, etc. - Heck, I'm gonna try and sit in with the band for a song or two...if so, I'll tape it and post!

$50-100,000+ thing......
Congrads on the wedding....We were married 20+ years ago....a wonderful affair but, I sure wish we had the money my in-laws spent on that day....
Mike

Just stand back, have fun and get out the check book, father of the bride. Sounds like shes going to marry a guy whose dads wood burner, smart, very smart!! That apple did not fall far from the wood pile; I mean tree.

Congratulations DAD !

Congrads Web!! You sure your daughter isn't marrying Elk son? (I'd really wonder except for knowing true meaning of "ELKIMEG")

:)

Warren said:
Congrads Web!! You sure your daughter isn't marrying Elk son? (I'd really wonder except for knowing true meaning of "ELKIMEG")

:)

If that were the case then you could bet that the wedding could only be in one place. Bethel, VT.

Ha, you didn't get the insinuation - the wedding could only be in ONE place and it must be in this state.

(Elks daughter is Megan)....

So, only a civil union in Bethel, while a full legal marriage here in Ma.

See, we are special here in Ma - Every state has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you are a pot smoker, the west is the best, cause you can grow it, or belong to the co-op (assuming your doctor is friendly), etc.

But if the L word is your fav, then Ma. is the place to be.

What a country!

Congratulations. I'm wondering why they wouldn't just replace those stoves with new ones of the same model since they did such an admirable job heating the house? My stove is 18 years old now. it's probly gonna get one or two more seasons before being replaced. Might get the same kind of stopve when it goes.

elkimmeg translation El my wife Ellen Kim first daughter Meg Megan my second daughter And I had a hard time fitting my son in the mix

On building a new home in the area I know some good subcontractors to recomend and could be helpfull in that respect. Since it is about 10 to 15 minutes away

Congrats and I know what you are going through my daughter. Kim, is getting married this fall too. So far the wedding party have been reduced down to 250
and live band to boot. I fear Meg has wedding plans soon to follow and possibly my son too.

This is the first time since New years eve I typed in Bethel in any post

Congratulations to Web, and Webwidow, and to the to your daughter. and future in-laws! Best wishes for you all and the happy couple!!!

Since (I'm just guessing :) ) this won't be a hearth.com gathering, I guess we just have to say our well wishes here.

Hmmm, I could do Kechjoni along that principle. Kelsey my oldest and only daughter, Christopher, Jordan and Nicholas. Hard to fit my wife in the mix.
BTW Congrats on the wedding(s) to you and Craig. My daughter is 12 so I have awhile for that, I hope

elkimmeg said:
elkimmeg translation El my wife Ellen Kim first daughter Meg Megan my second daughter And I had a hard time fitting my son in the mix

On building a new home in the area I know some good subcontractors to recomend and could be helpfull in that respect. Since it is about 10 to 15 minutes away

Congrats and I know what you are going through my daughter. Kim, is getting married this fall too. So far the wedding party have been reduced down to 250
and live band to boot. I fear Meg has wedding plans soon to follow and possibly my son too.

This is the first time since New years eve I typed in Bethel in any post

Status
Not open for further replies.