Tried to get a deal on a splitter at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
Ran to Lowes to pick up a few things and out front they had a MTD 27 ton splitter on clearance for $996. I checked into why it was on clearance and I was told the guy that bought it didn't add oil to the engine before starting it. He ran it until the motor stopped and then he couldn't start it again. I guess the Lowes guys realized that no oil was added. It was at this point that I tried to make my deal. Unfortunately, the manager was not there (I was talking to the guy that runs the equipment department) and he added that he was not sure if a warranty was included. So I explained that even if it ran, the life expectancy of the motor is unknown and it could be toast after a hour or a year. I offered him $300 and I was surprised he didn't balk at that offer and he took my number to give to the zone manager coming in tomorrow. When I asked if I could start it (should not have asked. ) He went inside to ask and when he came back he said $995 was the best price they could do.
My best play would have been to offer $300 no warranty no return and if the motor was bad I could replace it and still be ahead. Better deal next time.:)
PS. That Honda motor started right up and sounded ok!

I think you went too low. $800 probably would have been a good price to offer.

hard to say I would have tryed to get to the person who through out the 995.00 figure.By saying where did that # come from?

Since the Honda has a low oil shutdown switch it ain't hurt. Nice try though.

I can always go back tomorrow and talk to the zone manager.

bsa0021 said:
I can always go back tomorrow and talk to the zone manager.

i'd give it a shot

i would definalty go back and give it another shot at about 300 - 500 dollar range in price. My outlook at HD, lowes and car dealers - if they don;t feel insulted at offer - you ain't negotiating...

It never hurts to make an offer ...the worst they can say is no.

savageactor7 said:
It never hurts to make an offer ...the worst they can say is no.
In the art of negotiating, it is possible to start too low, insulting the seller and souring your prospects. When the seller countered by dropping the price by just one dollar saying that's as low as they would go, I'd say the negotiation is over for that day.

Make a firm serious offer and don't start changing the terms and you stand a chance. They probably don't ever want to see that splitter come back or ever hear about again so go on those terms. Even without the engine it's worth more than they're asking and they know it. They just want it gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.