Tried to get busy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I have been trying to get busy on the splitting but it is going slow. It will get done, just not quite as fast as I'd like. So here is a picture of the start. You can see the pile is pretty small this year.

Woodsplit4-12-11a.gif

And here is some of that pin oak. I still have to get some more out and some limbs cut up. Wife wants to help and then this morning she cut her hand bad. We make a fine pair.... I've not been able to do hardly anything so far today, except patch her hand.
Pinoak4-12-11a.gif

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1302727567"]I have been trying to get busy on the splitting but it is going slow. It will get done, just not quite as fast as I'd like. So here is a picture of the start. You can see the pile is pretty small this year.

And here is some of that pin oak. I still have to get some more out and some limbs cut up. Wife wants to help and then this morning she cut her hand bad. We make a fine pair.... I've not been able to do hardly anything so far today, except patch her hand.

I hope Mrs. Sav is doing fine, you are still far enough ahead it can wait. Nice looking wood.

Zap

Zap, you know we have plenty of wood and I would not need any of this stuff. But you also know how I am; wood has to be put up annually. It all will go somewhere. Maybe not all in our house but will keep someone warm.

Looking good Dennis, nice pile of wood there.
Did the cut on your wife's hand need stitches? I cringed when I read about the cut.

Knowing for you , it is about staying busy, but doing work that has benefits is important.
Glad you are feeling well enough to do it. Just makes us feel better to do productive work.
I got after that spruce tree that's been bothering me yesterday, all C/S/S & now want more to do.
Getting after pruning, Green house & yard too. Staying busy, & working up to doing a full days work slowly.
Plan is still to get in a few more cords for 2013/14 season.
Summer around the corner, pretty happy to be active again, sounds like same for you.
Slow & steady will get allot done :)

You two need crash helmets for x-mass this year!

Wow! You and your wife be careful Dennis! Hope the wife's hand is ok.

We did not take the wife for stitches and it think she will be okay. I just finished changing the bandage again and the cut is clean. I did put some salve on it this time just to try to keep the bleeding down. The cut is right between the thumb and first finger. She is right handed and fortunately the cut is on her left hand. I kept at her most of the day to take it easy. She did have to sit down twice because it started bleeding. She sat with the hand in the air and it worked. We'll look at it again tomorrow. Thanks to all for your concerns.

Maybe Jay is right on those crash helmets. lol I really wanted to go on a bike ride today as it was 60+ degrees with little wind; perfect for riding. But my body revolted today and I spent almost all day sitting. Such is life.

BogyDave, we got the pruning of the fruit done a couple weeks ago so that is out of the way. We still need to transplant some raspberries and then I need to work up the garden spaces too. We're doing some remodeling so things are really hectic around here but it will be worth it all when we are done. But you are right. It is nice to do things that need done so that you are still at least a little bit productive. For sure my body is forcing me to slow down but that doesn't mean I have to quit. I sold the rocking chair several years ago.

And even though our wood pile is small this year, we still have lots from 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. We won't run out of wood. This is just another case like I've tried to prod others into doing; get extra wood. Some year you may not be able to because of injury or accident or whatever. Can't cut this year? No problem as we still have lots. In fact, if we do not sell or give any wood away we still have enough wood to last sometime into the winter of 2015-2016. That just gives me a great feeling.

Savage, if the cut has been bandaged, dressing changed and then it reopened a full day later, I would suspect its not going to close or heal properly without sutures. You should get her to the ER or local clinic right away. No sense in taking chances with long term usage or taking a significnat risk of infection here, go get that hand checked.

Thanks for your concern mayhem. It looks pretty good this morning and I put some tegaderm on it. She said it is not even sore. It appears she mostly lost some skin.

Dennis I know its for you not to get much done in a day. But please try to take it slow and build yourself back up. You and I both know pushing too fast is just going to slow things down in the long run. Glad to hear the Misses is doing better today.

Billy

Thanks Billy. Looks like I'm taking another day off and the Mrs is doing better than I am! Sometimes older age is not kind...

I seen your atv Dennis so old age has its perks!

Well Jay, we do get pampered a bit from time to time.

Backwoods Savage said:
But you also know how I am; wood has to be put up annually.

There are those who cut annually and barely make it through winter with that years cutting........
And those who cut annually but work a few years ahead.
they can sometimes take it easy when needs be........ like now!
You take it easy there Dennis, and look after Mrs Backsav.....

Otherwise you might have your coffee waiting after all that hard work.
And that lot was hard work :)

Wife's hand is doing fine. Thanks to everyone.

Hey loon, we've fought him before and will take him on again. lol

Glad to hear you all are feeling better, hope your wifes hand heals up ok.

Sure is nice dennis thought that you get the wife to help.She must enjoy it. i have had her out there a couple times. and she swears once she's not pregnant any more that she'll be out to help. lol will see.

Thanks guys. The wife's hand is doing fine now. She does enjoy helping but has slowed down a lot the last 3 or 4 years. She did help more this year and did enjoy it too. My wife doesn't worry about getting pregnant anymore Bobby. lol Our youngest grandchild turned 20 this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks guys. The wife's hand is doing fine now. She does enjoy helping but has slowed down a lot the last 3 or 4 years. She did help more this year and did enjoy it too. My wife doesn't worry about getting pregnant anymore Bobby. lol Our youngest grandchild turned 20 this year.
Time flies when your having fun. really does go by fast.

Or as the frog said, Time funs when you are having flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.