Tried to make a score today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ribs1

Sep 1, 2009
Michigan
www.cponsite.net
I was driving around today and spotted a big tree service clearing a bunch of land. They had tons of logs all over the place.
I stopped by and talked to the guy and asked if I could take some firewood. These guys were chipping all of it. He would not let me have any.
Too bad. I was just sick all day as this was a mother load and it was all going to mulch.

But, and it's small consolation, the mulch usually goes to a biomass furnace for electricity nowadays. I do hate seeing it though, but they need to clear the area quickly and get out of there with as little liability exposure as possible.

Walmart is building a Super center around here. I went to the site same as you and they chipped it all. The foreman I talked to said he was crying because he burns wood also and all he could do was watch from the trailer as they chipped about 15-17a of trees. :shut:

I am anti chipper. Chipping wood over 6 inches diameter should be prohibited by federal law! or at least strongly discouraged.

Same thing happened near me, about 5 acres of trees all getting chewed up by the chipper. :ahhh:

Wood Duck said:
I am anti chipper. Chipping wood over 6 inches diameter should be prohibited by federal law! or at least strongly discouraged.

You would really hate to come to Michigan then. Even one of our neighbors sold off about 60 acres of woods and they chipped the entire lot. Man, those big chippers are something to watch! It is amazing how fast they eat wood. I watched them fill a 40' trailer in less than a half hour!

As wood burners we hate to see wood go this route . . . but for the small operator throwing the wood in the chipper is often the easier (not having to worry about someone leaving a mess behind), faster and safer (in terms of liability) way to clear a lot . . . and for the large sites there are a lot of places using the wood chips in their own wood burners so this wood will most likely not go to waste.

It's even worse down here. Often times, land is cleared off and it isn't even logged. The trees are pushed into windrows and burned. I'm talking about oak and hickories.

Yup, some folks don't know the real value of timber and cut
logs. Lumber, paper products, fuel for heat or more, it is a shame
that it is not used used in a more responsible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.