Trim for Supervent cathedral support box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnn

Nov 30, 2005
Finally had Napoleon 1100 woodstove and Supervent chimney installed today. Does anyone have a Supervent chimney with the square support box. It seems there should be trim pieces for where the box meets the ceiling. There weren't any. So, it looks unfinished where you can see where the drywall was cut. I'll call Selkirk Monday, but was just wondering if this was supposed to be included.

please post a picture of the drywall cut and installation

Don't have set up yet for digital camera on computer, just bought camera. Drywall is cut very close to box. Probably not more than 1/16" gap. Just thought it would have came with trim. Also, county building inspector is coming tuesday for inspection. Hope everything is right. We were bad and tried the stove out. Works great. Seems very clean burning. Only one thing that concerns me about installation. Only about 1 inch or so of the insulated chimney (the stainless) comes down past the support box. Seems like it should be more? I have seen other installations with more stainless showing down past the support box. The installer is not a certified wood stove installer, a contractor, but said he has installed many of them. Also, used double wall stove pipe, so I would assume as long as black stove pipe is at least 6 inches from ceiling, clearances are met? I would also assume that how far down support box comes into room also would affect how much of the chimney needs to show below support box.

Most of the time suppt box should extend min. 2" into room. Double wall piple has a clearance of 6" in any direction vertically. IF in a horizontal situation the double has a 9" clearance on teh top with 6" to sides and bottom. I believe support box should have come with trim. I haven't ever seen one that didn't

1/16 of an inch is not a bad gap if one fills it in with caulk nobody will ever see it

Good luck with your inspector. And about your installer; In my state there is no reconised
certification program yet But I am working with the Chiumney sweeps towards certification.
People like myself, can do a safe and code compliant installation without being certified.

What are your thoughts on the NFI certifications Elk? I think that in order to install a stove you should have to have some sort of licensce.

That's one of the certification standards we and looking to adopt.

Another problem to address is who should or will be grandfathered?

I was talking to one of the governor'sm, top aids yesterday. and We are considering adopting EPA regs possibly.

Lots to consider Carbon monixide laws Still reviewing the latest admendment purposals

E-mailed Selkirk. They said trim kit should have been with support kit. Is it ok to put oak trim around the support box?

MaryAnn said:
Finally had Napoleon 1100 woodstove and Supervent chimney installed today. Does anyone have a Supervent chimney with the square support box. It seems there should be trim pieces for where the box meets the ceiling. There weren't any. So, it looks unfinished where you can see where the drywall was cut. I'll call Selkirk Monday, but was just wondering if this was supposed to be included.

Please keep us posted on the Napolean. It looks like a good stove. I'd like to hear how you like it once it is fired up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.