trim on stove platform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussieblake

Mar 4, 2008
Tornado Alley
I will be installing a new PE T6 soon, but we would like to have it elevated on a pedestal roughly 8". My wife and I are trying to come up with something that is inexpensive and aesthetically pleasing. The plan is to build a base with with 2X6's and two layers of durock (cement backer board) and tile it to match the rest of the room. She mentioned wrapping the top with wood trim moulding, which sounds good to me and is easy enough.

My question is this, the entire floor is ceramic tile on concrete slab, so basically no Hearth is required, but what is the clearance requirement for the wood trim wrapping the top of the pedestal? I assume these do not need to be clearances as would a combustible floor. Would the trim work even have a clearance requirement? FYI we are trying to make the platform as small as possible.

Thanks for the help!

aussieblake

Yes, combustible is combustible. Regardless of whether this is trim or flooring, the ruling is the same. FWIW, having a bit larger hearth in front of the stove is usually a good thing. It helps with ash spills, sparks spitting out of the stove, etc. Keep the combustible trim edge of the hearth at 18" from the stove front and you'll be fine.

Just to amend the above, keep your trim 18" from any door on your stove. Many have side doors today and I wouldn't want you to make your pad too skinny only to find out at inspection time.

You'll like that pedestal. We built ours 16" high and love it. Makes for much less bending when loading the firebox. We built our large so we also have room for all the wet boots or shoes plus a place to stack some wood. We did not put wood trim on ours though; just left the ceramic tiles and it looks okay, although I have considered some trim. Not sure what we'll do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.