Trimming an Insert Faceplate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

I am in the midst of planning the purchase and installation of a Drolet DB03120 fireplace insert. My masonry fireplace has an arch shape around the front of the fireplace and I'll need to do some trimming of the faceplate. Does anyone have any experience trimming a faceplate? I'd love any advice. I am expecting that I'll need to seal the edges along the curve (that I won't be able to use the included edge trim piece) with some masonry caulk.

On a side note, I am really excited about this project. My Dad, brother and I are going to drive to 3 hours to Des Moines, Iowa and pick up the insert (saving a ton of cash on shipping) and then install the unit. I'm also saving a good bit of money by buying the chimney insert on-line and installing it myself. With the exception of having to trim the faceplate, this looks to be a straight forward installation.

Well, I haven't trimmed mine yet, but I'm facing a similar task. I'm doing a recessed install of a Lopi Declaration and I need to trim the surround to the dimension of the fireplace opening. My plan at this point is to rent a nibbler from our local center, I think that will work better and give me more control than a cutoff wheel or worse yet a cutting torch. What do you think?

I'd say what tool you decide to use should be based on the thickness of what they made the faceplace out of...
I trimmed my sister's surround to fit an arched opening...
She's got the Regency I3100L
Their surround is 16 Gage (.0598") sheet metal...
I made a template out of cardboard before I installed the firebox...
I cut the template with scissors to the outside edge of the layout line...
I traced the outline on the back of the surround with a sharpie marker & then cut just outside that line using my
Porter-Cable jigsaw with a metal-cutting fine-toothed blade....
Then I used a disc grinder to bring the contour to the sharpie lines...
Then I used a smooth file to remove any burrs
Worked the nuts & looks great...
She's happier than a pig in doodoo :)

Good input. My cuts will be straight so a nibbler should work great. But if your doing a contoured fit, then DAKSY's method would probably work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.