Trimming ceramic glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 9, 2020
California
Hey Y'all,
I'm replacing the ceramic glass in the door of an old wood stove for my neighbors and, well I measured a little bit too inaccurately; the piece is about ¼" too large for both length and height. What's the best method for taking a little bit off or notching out some holes (in cer glass)? There's about 14 bolts in a rectangular pattern that hold the plate on, that the glass is hitting. TIA

Pretty sure a diamond wet saw is needed. You could probably cut it with an angle grinder or Dremel with a diamond wheel but you might also mess it up. I'd go to a glass shop and have them do it.

This guy makes it look easy.

Reactions: woodstoveglassdoor
Thank you for the replies! Seems like I don't want to mess with this stuff myself. I live pretty far from modern civilization, but I did some researching and found a glass shop only 30 minutes from me so I will be taking my business there today

Got ahold of the shop owner but in the interim of him figuring out his schedule for the day, I accomplished the task myself using tools I already had. After careful examination of the problem I realized the top and bottom fit, just the sides needed work and actually all I needed was to file/grind away two notches to fit around the bolts. And so I did this; with a small cylindrical diamond bit that came in the Dremel kit, and running a hose over the area. Slow work proved it to be an easy and risk free process. The hard part was getting the adhesive gasket that had been applied to the glass to stick after removing it, I suggest using much heat while removing in the first place and then covering the adhesive (both gasket and what comes off on the glass) in wax paper to prevent debris from getting in it
Image glass notched

Reactions: 3650
Was extra room allowed around the bolts to allow for expansion? This should not be a snug fit.

I don't know the precise amount, at least 1/16"? Ask the glass guy. Don't over-tighten. Let the gasket do the sealing.