Trip to Lebanon NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how those Woodstock stoves just bring out such a happy bunch of owners! They do make you a very content person once you own and burn one.. I guess you realize what a nice stove you own, once you have one in your home and realize how enjoyable they are to burn.. Easy maintenance, fuel efficient, and real joy to burn... Everyone who owns one really relates to the nice experience the next Woodstock stove owner is about to have! That's why Woodstock put on an open house, I betting so all those happy owners could get together.. hope they do that soon!

Just goes to show how nice these stoves are that a single stoves journey would be followed to the next owner,,, plus Woodstock took the time to make sure the stove was at it's best , for the second owner! Yup, they are very well appreciated stoves! Not just another wood stove to their owners... I think the fact that the stoves were built by such a small group of caring people make them very special to their owners... and then the great owner- company relationship just says it all... It's just all good karma and great to have such a good business still around in these economic times..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oldhippie
That is one nice-looking install! :) The damper is easy to install later if you want to. You can lift the lid and reach right into the pipe to hold the plate while you feed the handle through.
My wife likes it better when it doesn't have the handle on
I used to move the handle around so it would lean against the lid frame....didn't touch the stone.

Fv.JPG

That's why Woodstock put on an open house, I betting so all those happy owners could get together.. hope they do that soon!

Well, in many ways our DC Meetup will be just that and More!

Woodstock owner and probably others will be there....as will their entered stove and yours truly and some of the finest members in the world - even if many own englanders and other brands!

Well, in many ways our DC Meetup will be just that and More!

Woodstock owner and probably others will be there....as will their entered stove and yours truly and some of the finest members in the world - even if many own englanders and other brands!
Sounds like a great time..

No
Steve,
Have all your break in fires done?
Charly, I did the first one, and may do the next one tomorrow AM.

I get all busy riding my motorcycle in this weather.

But I just thought of something.. was I supposed to do them one after the other, contiguously? I didn't read that, so I figured I had time.

Last edited:
My wife likes it better when it doesn't have the handle on too. It's amazing how the looks of this stove grows on you. It's really given our main living area a whole new personality and charm.

We haven't even started heating the house with it yet and we are glad we bought it!
It is hard to beat the handsome looks of the Fireview......

No

Charly, I did the first one, and may do the next one tomorrow AM.

I get all busy riding my motorcycle in this weather.

But I just thought of something.. was I supposed to do them one after the other, contiguously? I didn't read that, so I figured I had time.
It will be fine.... Yup some really nice riding weather, get it while you can... I agree...

Yeah, I find that the bypass on this stove always makes it easy to get a good draft at startup/reload. When it's time to scoop ashes out of the stove, I fill a pie pan inside the firebox. As you have noticed, ash dust goes right up the flue.:)

+1. Very nice marbling in the stone. Mine has more irregular streaks, but I like mine too.;)

FWIW, I find the Fireview even more beautiful without the handle dangling from the lid. There's no good reason for opening the lid when the stove is hot anyhow. . .makes me think the handle must be a holdover from when the stove was a pre-EPA top-loader. You can clean the cat when the stove is warmish, but you should wear gloves for that manuever, making the handle unnecessary.==c

So isn't the top lid a bit difficult to lift without the handle? It doesn't bother us at all.

So isn't the top lid a bit difficult to lift without the handle? It doesn't bother us at all.

I've actually come to like the looks of the handle and it is definitely helpful to open and close the lid. But it did need to grow on me, it wasn't an immediate "oooh I like that".

It just seemed natural to us as we've had those handles before. We like them.

So isn't the top lid a bit difficult to lift without the handle?
Nah, our stove is on a 20" raised hearth. I just put my palm under the nub where the handle attaches and swing the lid right up.==c

To each their own. . .good thing Woodstock made the handle detachable, eh.;)

So today I started at the beginning again to do Break in fires 1 & 2 contiguously.

That is the following:

1. First fire. Up to 6 pieces of kindling (1" x 1" maximum). Light the fire (super cedar works great), leave the draft full open and just let it burn out.

2. Second fire. (Stove should cool some but should not have to be cold before second fire.) Same amount of kindling. No more than 2 small or medium splits. Light the fire and let it burn. After splits get burning good, close draft to about 50%. Let the fire go until it is out.

I let it cool down to just a warm stove top after the first one before I fed the stove again and re-lit for the 2nd one.

So the 2nd burn the temps on the top of the stove hit 250, so I engaged the cat and set the airflow for 2. Too bad it wasn't dark in the house because I got a real treat of a light show out of that! :) These periodic flame ignitions of smoke gathering near the cat and then probably combusting due to the heat and oxygen still being fed into the stove. I can't explain it, and I expected that flames might cease but I'd see the cat start to glow.. but instead I got these really cool flames that would flare up then die, then flare up then die. Then finally the wood just went to a smoulder.. but, the temp gauge on the top of the stove crept slowly up to 300'F and eventually a bit beyond.

That was this morning about 10:30 EST to Noon. Now, it is 4:30PM and the last embers are still glowing (from 2 small splits I fed in there about 10:30AM!) and the temp on the stove top is down to 180'F. Another observation, when the stove top was creeping slightly past 300'F on the stove top, my 2nd magnetic flue temp guage about a foot up the flue was sitting at a meager 200'F, so what I take away from that is the heat stays with the stove, and not up the chimney! :)

The wife got home at 3:30 from school.. and wasn't happy that I had the stove still warm and the windows open. :confused:

I did explain that there were some fumes, (but it fact the smell of any fumes was pretty damn almost negligible) and I wanted to not stink up the house. So I guess I got away with it.

I think I'll wait until a real cold day to do the final break in fire. As the final fire is really a fire where the stove top temps will reach real operating temps. I do believe that given this stoves history much of the paint fumes and cement curing happened in it's previous life and there was a rebuild as a part of the refurb but I don't think there was a repaint so the fumes were minimal.

One thing I did notice was the difference in heat between this stove and my old steel smoke dragon. I never really experienced this so called "gentle heat" before, but that is exactly what it is, and it is also radiated outward to the various boundaries of the house much more, not just hard radiation in the immediate area around the stove. At least it seems like a more distributed heat.

I'm very pleased and very impressed so far. Did I mention the pretty flames?! :cool:

Last edited:
So today I started at the beginning again to do Break in fires 1 & 2 contiguously.

That is the following:

1. First fire. Up to 6 pieces of kindling (1" x 1" maximum). Light the fire (super cedar works great), leave the draft full open and just let it burn out.

2. Second fire. (Stove should cool some but should not have to be cold before second fire.) Same amount of kindling. No more than 2 small or medium splits. Light the fire and let it burn. After splits get burning good, close draft to about 50%. Let the fire go until it is out.

I let it cool down to just a warm stove top after the first one before I fed the stove again and re-lit for the 2nd one.

So the 2nd burn the temps on the top of the stove hit 250, so I engaged the cat and set the airflow for 2. Too bad it was dark in the house because I got a real treat of a light show out of that! :) These periodic flame ignitions of smoke gathering near the cat and then probably combusting due to the heat and oxygen still being fed into the stove. I can't explain it, and I expected that flames might cease but I'd see the cat start to glow.. but instead I got these really cool flames that would flare up then die, then flare up then die. Then finally the wood just went to a smoulder.. but, the temp gauge on the top of the stove crept slowing up to 300'F and eventually a bit beyond.

That was this AM about 10:30 EST to Noon. Now, it is 4:30PM and the last embers are still glowing (from 2 small splits I fed in there about 10:30AM!) and the temp on the stove top is down to 180'F. Another observation, when the stove top was creeping slightly past 300'F on the stove top, my 2nd magnetic flue temp guage about a foot up the flue was sitting at a meager 200'F, so what I take away from that is the heat stays with the stove, and not up the chimney! :)

The wife got home at 3:30 from school.. and wasn't happy that I had the stove still warm and the windows open. :confused:

I did explain that there were some fumes, (but it fact the smell of any fumes was pretty damn almost negligible) and I wanted to not stink up the house. So I guess I got away with it.

I think I'll wait until a real cold day to do the final break in fire. As the final fire is really a fire where the stove top temps will reach real operating temps. I do believe that given this stoves history much of the paint fumes and cement curing happened in it's previous life and there was a rebuild as a part of the refurb but I don't think there was a repaint so the fumes were minimal.

One thing I did notice was the difference in heat between this stove and my old steel smoke dragon. I never really experienced this so called "gentle heat" before, but that is exactly what it is, and it is also radiated outward to the various boundaries of the house much more, not just hard radiation in the immediate area around the stove. At least it seems like a more distributed heat.

I'm very pleased and very impressed so far. Did I mention the pretty flames?! :cool:
You witnessed the ghost flames.... wait until you see them rolling like a waterfall, very cool... Nice thing is your going to burn less wood and have more comfortable heat! We don't rave about Woodstock for nothing.. Your going to see why,,, you just got a taste,, your going to like it! When I said the Fireview was a joy to run, I meant it... Your going to be very pleased and impressed.. Their stoves speak for themselves... Woodstock needs no advertisement, their stove owners provide it all....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You witnessed the ghost flames.... wait until you see them rolling like a waterfall, very cool... Nice thing is your going to burn less wood and have more comfortable heat! We don't rave about Woodstock for nothing.. Your going to see why,,, you just got a taste,, your going to like it! When I said the Fireview was a joy to run, I meant it... Your going to be very pleased and impressed.. Their stoves speak for themselves... Woodstock needs no advertisement, their owners provide it all....:)

That's exactly what it looked like a rolling waterfall. It didn't last long, just a few of them, but WOW was I surprised. I'm thinking ...wait, this is not a secondary combustion stove.. but it sure was giving off this really neat light show. ..and it wasn't with a big load or a lot of heat.. I mean I was at 250 on the stove top.. so the cat was just engaged and not in "full tilt boogey" mode at that point. As we say here is Mass. "It was wicked awhsum!"

Reactions: charly
Fireview: the original hybrid.==c

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woodstock-fireview-on-low-burn.103739/

I almost forgot. . .
welcome to the temple of the cat!==c

Those were exactly what I had.. and it might of been a little of that "ghost flame" thing going on too.

I was stunned because I totally didn't expect it. But wow it's going to be fun sharing the living room with this beast this winter! The TV will get turned on a lot less, that's for sure. I'm thinking I really ought to go out and get a dog and/or cat, rather than the rent-a-puppy I get from my daughter now and again., just to enjoy the warmth of the stove and make for prettier pictures like you guys have! :)

Those were exactly what I had.. and it might of been a little of that "ghost flame" thing going on too.

I was stunned because I totally didn't expect it. But wow it's going to be fun sharing the living room with this beast this winter! The TV will get turned on a lot less, that's for sure. I'm thinking I really ought to go out and get a dog and/or cat, rather than the rent-a-puppy I get from my daughter now and again., just to enjoy the warmth of the stove and make for prettier pictures like you guys have! :)
Well if you get a dog, just make sure you get one that likes to ride , after all you'll become such good buddies by the Fireview, you won't want to leave him behind once you get riding again in the spring.

That looks awesome on the brick with wood trim all around, love it! Enjoy the new stove! Patience, it will be cold soon! 72 here today, georgious out, lets not rush the summer away! ;)

Well if you get a dog, just make sure you get one that likes to ride , after all you'll become such good buddies by the Fireview, you won't want to leave him behind once you get riding again in the spring.

Too cool!! That guy would make a great Woodstock employee and the dog would fit right in!

Status
Not open for further replies.