triple track storm disposal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I'm replacing all of the triple track storms on our house with traditional wooden storm windows. I've already thrown away several triple tracks, and it seems like a real waste. I'm wondering if there's something better I can do with them, but I suspect it's hard to sell them (sort of window-size specific), and I suspect there's near-zero scrap value in them (not much aluminum, by weight. Ideas?

Reactions: jharkin
Do you garden? Know anyone that does? They make good tops for cold frames for getting a jump on the season. I made 2 outta some old storm doors I gutted and alittle recycled barn wood.
storms.jpg

Hmm... maybe my own solar firewood kiln? ;hm

I gave ya a like for the traditional wood storms! Are you buying them off shelf or having some custom made?

Reactions: Ashful
I'm having them made. I would prefer to make them myself, and have the equipment and experience to do so (something I've done before), but in the interest of time... also, I don't have my workshop really set up at this house, yet.

They're coming from Adams Architectural Millwork. I'm having them made out of Mahogany, but unfortunately, my window frames won't accept their standard 1-1/8" thickness. So, after receiving them from Adams, I have to run a rabbet around the perimeter of each one. This compromises the bridle joints a bit, but I believe it's still better than the only other commercial alternative: cope and stick in my required 3/4" thickness.

Craigslist free stuff/curb alert ?
If I put old windows and doors and stuff out on the curb ( no c-list curb alert or anything ) they disappear. Sometimes within an hour.
Only thing I won't put out on the curb again is a couch with the cushions. I;'ve had someone take just the cushions then no one wants the couch.

Put couch out without cushions, and a sign that says, "Knock on door for cushions."

I used to do the same, when I lived on a busy road. Now I'm on a cul de sac with just a few neighbors, none of which would be interested in these storms. I've read too many horror stories of curb-alerts gone wrong, and the Habitat re-stores are too far a drive for me to make without taking off work to do it. Unless another good idea presents itself, I think they're going to just have to continue going into the trash.

Call the Re-store & see if they'll do a pick-up. If no, ask them who might. Some-one wants those windows.

Will do! I like the Purple Heart model... we leave stuff on the front stoop, they come pick it up. Great charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.