Triple wall stainless chimney splice question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan03

Dec 8, 2007
NE Ohio
I am considering adding a wood furnace to the basement of our 2400 sq. ft colonial. Our home already has a vermont castings wood burning fire place insert with a blower and out side combustion air circulation. The fire place sits in a wood framed encloser, which is directly in front of a wood framed 2 story chimney apprx. 4ft wide x 2 ft deep that is framed onto the side of our house and travels the full 2 stories to the peak of the roof. Since our home is only 3 years old, I am assuming that the chimney piping is stainless triple wall inside the wood framing. My question is would it be possible to safely tap into our exhisting chimney piping that is currently being used for the vermont castings fire place insert on the first floor so that we can also use it for the wood furnace in the basement. The wood furnace could be installed directly below the fire place, or any where that would lend itself to easy splicing of the chimney. The reason that I ask is that it would save a huge amount of money not to have to run a entirely new chimney from the basement to the peak of our 2 story home.

I believe that where theres a code [ as in mpst of the lower 48] its against code to exhaust 2 appliances into same chimney.

Not likely, but you'll really need to address this question to your local Building Inspector. Problem is twofold...the fact that the existing flue was sized for the existing appliance, and that you're talking about two different levels in the home. Lots of things about that make it potentially unsafe, and probably not allowed. Check, though. Rick

NFPA 211 fire codes and some page of the installation manual for your new stove both state not to vent two appliances into the same chimney.

You don't want to be filling up your house with carbon monoxide from the burner down stairs escaping through the fireplace upstairs.

Answer is pretty much NO.

My guess from your post is that you have a Winterwarm fireplace with double wall piping inside the framed chase. It would be 8" ID, and would only be able to serve the one appliance it is connected to.

You might have room inside the chase (frame) to install another HT metal chimney - but that is a whole 'nother story and would have to go all the way down to the furnace or whatever appliance it served.

NFPA 211 12.4.6 Existing Flue Use. "Another solid fuel-burning appliance shall not be installed using an existing flue serving a factory-built fireplace unless the appliance is specifically listed for such installation."

In this case, the use of the term "factory-built fireplace" includes woodburning inserts and freestanding woodstoves, as well as pretty much any other factory-built solid-fuel burning appliance. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.