Trouble keeping pellet stove running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christy

Nov 13, 2008
NY
I have a Whitfield Pellet stove. I am having a hard time keeping it running. Every time I turn it on it will light and burn for a period of time. What seems to be happening is when it gets up to temperature it is shutting down and goes out. Any ideas why work what would be causing this to happen?

Thanks for the help
Christy

Yes we have one. We have completely cleaned the entire stove inside and out. but still not working right.

Try running it without the thermostat, and see if it is doing the same thing.
Sounds like it just might be a setting but hard to tell with so little information, is it a new install?

Thermostat maybe set incorrectlly or installed incorrectly. If it is set low then the stove will shut down when it reaches the requested room tempature. Turn it up has high as possible and see if that works.

Check the temp switch on the exhaust side, if switch is bad the stove will run for around 30 min.
New switch will cost about 40.00

If your stove is set for on/off on thermostat, it will shut off when 'stat reaches setpoint. If it's set hi/lo, should drop to pilot (low ) when 'stat is satisfied. Maybe cleaning, or setting adjustment is in order.

Whitfields
The control panel works for 20-30 min... then looks at the low temp switch by the exhause. If it's working.. it will click closed for heat above 130 degrees.
If it's defective, no close, feed power get cut.
You can jump it (watch it, it's 120V when the plug is in the wall. Use aligator clip jumper.
If it works, you need a new low heat switch ($40-$50)
The thermostat works off the back "speaker wire" connector. If that jumper wire is missing or the theromstat goes above it's setting... that connection is cut and the stove goes to heat #1 and Fan #1 until that connection is made again.

Thank you all for all the advice. We cleaned the eye of the stove and is not working like it is brand new.
Thanks for the help
Christy

Christy said:
Thank you all for all the advice. We cleaned the eye of the stove and is not working like it is brand new.
Thanks for the help
Christy

I guess I didn't understand your last post...

Christy said:
Thanks for the help
Christy

I think "not" should be "now". But I will not comment because I was spanked on my last Whitfield stove comment.

Eric dude,
Rod

kinsman stoves said:
Christy said:
Thanks for the help
Christy

I think "not" should be "now". But I will not comment because I was spanked on my last Whitfield stove comment.

Eric dude,
Rod

Eric,

Always good for some comic relief. I gotta come down there for a weekend bender!!!

Rick

rap69ri said:
kinsman stoves said:
Christy said:
Thanks for the help
Christy

Eric dude,
Rod

Eric,

Always good for some comic relief. I gotta come down there for a weekend bender!!!

Rick

Anytime. Kinsman Stoves and Watering Hole is open. I am thinking of marketing a pellet stove with a refrigerator for you favorite beverages. But after further thought I have seen couches and lazy chairs with coolers and fridges.

I am still thinking about the Big E that doubles as an ice machine in the summer. Get your full years use from it.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.