Trouble replacing BIS Ultra rear refractory brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbennett

Jan 30, 2015
Ontario
I've searched the forum and the internet, and it kind of seems like I might be the only one who has ever had this problem. I bought a house a year ago with a BIS Ultra. The brick was in rough shape and needed replacing.

When I took out the rear panel, to get it past one of the burners at the top, I really had to muscle it out - we're talking crowbars etc. I now have the same problem going in. I wasn't too concerned coming out (since the brick was cracked anyway), but I'm worried that I'm going to crack the new brick or break the stainless steel burned it's pressed up against. Anyone run into this before? Is there a way to take the burner out or is there some trick I'm missing?

To paint a picture, when I was taking it out, all of the other brick was removed, and I was pulling the bottom part of the rear brick out (so it's tilting back). Then the top presses up against a burner and the bottom is pressed against a metal ledge. I'm just trying to do the reverse right now. Help!

Page 9 in the manual

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 9.48.47 AM.png
http://www.whitfield.com/products/fireplaces/ultra/

I have the manual, and it obviously looks very straightforward. I am hoping someone has hands-on experience that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Basically, at that back but just in front of where the brick goes, there is a burner that crosses the top and a metal lip that runs across the bottom. The brick is too tall to fit in straight on, so it needs to be angled so either the top goes in first or the bottom. I think it has to be the top first, but I can't get it to fit through.

Not familiar with your stove but you possibly could cut a little off the brick so that is fits more easily. Go like one kerf of the blade with a hand held angle grinder.

I apologize in advance if this is a safety issue with your particular stove but seems like a simple solution.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using an angle grinder to take one of the edges down. Had some people check it out and nobody else could come up with a better idea. Pretty strange. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.