Trouble shooting a JD 212 lawn tractor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Briggs trademarked that one. :p

Huh - thats odd. Most briggs are usually so sloppy I couldn't imagine anything sticking.;lol

(Full disclosure - I run an 8hp briggs on my splitter and it performs flawlessly).

I have also seen where valves heat and start to stick, but admittedly not on the K series Kohlers.

I had a 1965 K301 on a Cub 123 that needed a valve job. Exhaust valve would stick open when hot, due to carbon build-up on the valve stem. You could actually hear it plink back closed when the engine would cool off. Valve job was pretty easy, requiring the purchase of only one hand reamer (for the new guides) and a drive tool for my air hammer.

Reactions: MasterMech and Jags
Ok head gasket came back "LIKE NEW" Head in the parts washer and will check to make sure its flat and reinstall (Head was very easy to come off) . Points and condenser on the way what else?

Coil. I have also seen where when cold, the coil will work just fine, but as they heat up, an internal "open" will happen. I have personally had this happen twice over the years.

Reactions: smokinj
Coil. I have also seen where when cold, the coil will work just fine, but as they heat up, an internal "open" will happen. I have personally had this happen twice over the years.

Yep: debating that as I type.

Think you can still buy those coils at NAPA. ;lol Seriously.

Dealership 30.00 bucks. Been going there everyday for about two weeks. They have a seat with my name on it and everyone yells Norm when I walk in! ;)

Head drop off at the machine shop.

Head drop off at the machine shop.
was it warped?

i would get the old ohm meter out and test the stator, coil, etc... hot and cold
dont remember if the resistance specs are in the service manual or not but if you find a large variance then good chance there's an issue

was it warped?

i would get the old ohm meter out and test the stator, coil, etc... hot and cold
dont remember if the resistance specs are in the service manual or not but if you find a large variance then good chance there's an issue

Guy at the machine shop owes me a favor(Freebee) . Since its already there its best to completely rule out the it out before putting it back together. I will know the answer to the question latter this afternoon.

Guy at the machine shop owes me a favor. Since its already there its best to completely rule out the it out before putting it back together. I will know the answer to the question latter this afternoon.
Hah. That's probably a 10 minute job for him. ;)

Heads back and very clean.......He didn't have to do much.

Ok heads back on. Still the kind of the same but it will now run perfect with choke on after 20 mins?

Points, condenser, coil and carb kit still waiting for shipment....That should be everything. Love to have it. He will not give me a price! :confused:

Reactions: Jags
So give HIM one. ;)

I have been shooting but he keeps moving the target....Now that really doent stop me. He only mowing 20,000 sqft with it. Its got the snow plow weights chains and belly deck. (And there not another one I can find in the state)

around here in working order not restored that would be a 5-700 machine depending on attachments, 100-400 needing work
800-1K restored and looking pretty

around here in working order not restored that would be a 5-700 machine depending on attachments, 100-400 needing work
800-1K restored and looking pretty

About the same here and depending on the resto.....Jd are still the most expensive.

Everything has been replaced and running really good!

Status
Not open for further replies.