trouble shooting a reddyheater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
I bought a ~15 yr old 100K BTU reddy heater from an acquaintance for $20, but I can;t get the damn thing to run. Changed all the filters, put in fresh kero, but it only runs with the cover off.

If I put the cover on while it's running, the flame actually goes out then reignites after several seconds, then goes out, then reignites and so on. Tried dialing up the pressure, but no change. Consistently runs well with the cover off, barely at all with the cover on.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Did you change or clean up the spark plug? that's right Mine has a spark plug for ignition

try the photo cell, if it thinks the there is no fire it stops the fuel flow, drain the fuel again completely, put clear kero in and a new fuel filter

I did not change the spark plug, but I can see it sparking (if the cover is off) so I figure that's probably OK. The photocell I know is bad, because it was lighting, burning for a short while, then tripping and shutting down. removing the photocell (as a test) cured that condition. Have a new one ordered at Tractor Supply. So now the flame goes out and it blows kero into the hot barrel, making smoke like you wouldn;t believe. Not an improvement, but still in diagnostc mode.

Seems like a fuel pressure issue, either actual pressure or the nozzle. But I don't have a pressure tester, anyone have a useful substitution?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.