I just installed a 1978 Wood Chief wood stove in my house, and I am having trouble with creosote dripping from the stove pipe. I have been reading on here that I would have to keep the stack temp. around 250-275 deg. to eliminate the possibility of creosote build up. Well that is fine and dandy if I wanted to turn my house into a bakery oven. lol. When my stack temp. is 275 deg the top of my stove is 500 deg. I did read something about doing a chimney/stack burn out every couple days, and I interpreted this as getting the fire as hot as possible for 20-30 min and this will burn up any small amounts of creosote buildup. So all being said for my lack of knowledge, am I interpreting the burn out method correctly? or should I do something different? How hot does creosote have to get to burn? This is a little off subject, what is the fear I keep reading about chimney fires, how does a fire in a chimney burn down the house if the fire is in the chimney???