Trouble with creosote dripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
red oak, I follow what you are saying, and you have been more than helpful, thanks! I am always up for something new to try and master. By this time next year I will be giving advise on this forum. LOL. I hope! By the way, what exactly is a cord of wood? 1/2 pickup load? 1 pickup load? 1 1/4, 1 1/2, ect. Dang rednecks and there pickups.lol

I tell ya, until I joined this forum I didn't know all that I didn't know. You gotta find what works best for you, just check that chimney and keep track of your burning habits and you'll find out what works. As for the truck loads, a full size 8 foot bed if loaded up pretty good can hold 1/2 a cord. I have a 6 foot bed so I figure 1/4 cord, unless I load it up really good, then maybe 1/3. Don't count it as a cord unless it comes in a dump truck, and even then you should measure!

Unless you split oak into 2" x 2" pcs, which is useless except to start fires and top off a full load, I have yet to see any oak I ever had dry and ready to burn in 1 yr. Soso in 2 years, primo in 3.

Unless you split oak into 2" x 2" pcs, which is useless except to start fires and top off a full load, I have yet to see any oak I ever had dry and ready to burn in 1 yr. Soso in 2 years, primo in 3.

Actually 2X2 Oak pieces aint all bad for a really hot fire.:)
I have some 18 month (two full summers) Oak and some 5 year old stuff and they are the same moisture content, not sure I gain much drying after two full summers.
At that point in time the last few % take forever so maybe one more year does help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.