Trouble with Lopi dual air controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freewood

Dec 13, 2008
North Texas
My daughter has moved into my old house that has an older Lopi wood insert stove that I installed few years back. Up to this point no one had used it. The insert is a double door model, has that has two air controls. These are located at the bottom, center front of the stove. I'm having trouble figuring out which is the primary and secondary control. We are really having trouble finding the right combination to get a good burn/heat and not use the wood up. I have the largest Quadra-fire they make and the small Lopi is using twice as much wood which is seasoned mesquite at this time. I have found out that I pull out the controls to open which is opposite of the Quadra-fire insert.
Also I use the top damper wide open. I have found that if I close it any at all it really slows the burn rate and fire labors to stay going.
Any help/information would be helpful. I'm off to get her another rick.

Have you checked their website to see if there is a .pdf of the manual available? Or maybe the manual with a similar model with similar controls?

Yes I did check their site with no luck. All their models is a single door and no mention what so ever of air control on any models. I did notice that their current models has only one air control now. After looking further, I found hearth.com and registered.

Was this insert new or used when you installed it? How is it set up as far as connector pipe & chimney are configured? Did you installa full liner to the top of the chimney? Did you install a block-off plate in the damper throat area of the chimney? Can you post a picture of the appliance? Rick

Insert was a used unit when I installed into existing fireplace.
No connector pipe, no full liner, nor block off plate, just inserted into the fireplace opening.
Same installation as I did my Quadra-fire 10 years ago, just slapped it in the opening. Once I found my high and low burn rate adjustments, I load and let it heat. Haven't had a problem with it and haven't turned on my electric heat since. Plus all seasoned hardwood is free.
The Lopi does heat fine for the small house, just going through more wood than expected.

Well, that's a less than ideal installation in a couple of ways, and, especially depending on the inside dimensions of the chimney flue into which the insert exhausts, the unit's performance is likely adversely afffected. What seems to be working fine in the one installation may not be just fine in the other...different inserts, different chimneys. Just some thoughts. Any chance you can post a pic of the Lopi? Rick

Hopefully I can this evening. We had a small tornado come thru, took some roof damage and I'm repairing/replacing outside metal fence at moment.

Youch! I'm sorry to hear that, and hope everyone's OK. Be careful on the roof, Freewood. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.