Trouble with offset box causing smoke in the room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I’m having a problem with smoke pouring in the room every time I open the door. I love my new stove. It burns awesome. Puts out crazy heat, but something i did during the install is causing smoke to come in the room whenever I open the door. I mean tons of smoke.

I had a Napoleon 1101 in the same spot where my osburn 2400 is now. I have the same chimney liner and off set box set up that I had just last week with my Napoleon. But now I have smoke pouring in the room. No matter what is going on the firebox smoke pours in the room. Thinking it was a cold chimney problem, I tried opening the door with a 500* fire. Same thing -smoke pours in the room.

I just swept the chimney last week. I posted this question in another thread and didn't really get a reply so I'm re-posting it here hoping someone can help me out- hope that's not poor etiquette

One thing I did differently than before was while I had the stove out i insulated around the bottom of the liner where it meets the space where my damper used to be. Also I had to squish the offset box about 1/4" to get it to fit under the lintel. Here's a pic of the offset box. Any ideas of what I did wrong? I know there are gaps on the sides of the box due to me squishing it.

I've tried having a window and door open during reloads. Did not work. -I'm almost positive the baffle system is installed correctly. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Off set box.jpg
    Off set box.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 570
The offset box must be airtight no leaks. Are those side gaps air gaps? If so, there's the problem.

Thanks Begreen. should I fill it with high temp caulk or cement?

What am I seeing here in the outlined red area?

offset.jpg

That looks to be 'open' - wouldn't think it should be 'open'.

Shari said:
What am I seeing here in the outlined red area?

That looks to be 'open' - wouldn't think it should be 'open'.

That is missing a cover. You see the two wing nuts on top of the stove to your left. That would be to secure it in place. Looks like it is missing a gasket though. Maybe its on the cover that we cant see thats been removed. It should have something there.
Any air that can enter your flue/chimney downstream of the stove should be dealt with as it takes away draft @ the stove + causes more of a cooling affect taking away your draft and adding nasty deposits in the flue/chimney. NO silicone that I would think will handle what that will be exposed to in that area.

Hey guys,

I removed the cover for the pic. The cover has a gasket on it. Forgot to mention that. Will furnace cement work for this?

I would try to flatten the sides back in the best I could then fill the remaining gap with furnace cement. Not sure how well it'll work but I'd say it's worth a try. Other choice would be to pull it out and have someone weld them closed. Small metal patches welded in would work nicely.

I would find a offset box that is shorter(thinner) and replace that one. That one looks like its toast. I had to shop around (online) and find a short one for my install due to limited clearances. They make different sizes.

Thanks. Where did you find the strange sized offset box? I haven't done a lot of research on it yet. I just called a few stove shops and they all have the same ones- which is the one I already have. I'm going to try furnace cement.

BeGreen, Those are air gaps. I gotta close that up somehow. I bought some furnace cement, but I'm concerned it won't stick to the steel. What do you guys think?

yeah that's what I'll probably have to do eventually. I already looked into it. I got one price at $150. I'll have to ask around.

Thanks. Where did you find the strange sized offset box? I haven’t done a lot of research on it yet. I just called a few stove shops and they all have the same ones- which is the one I already have. I’m going to try furnace cement.

I don't recall but you might start by doing a google search on "wood stove offset box". If I recall mine was 2 3/4" thick. I think yours is over 3".And mine didn't have a cleanout door. Figured I didn't need or want it.
If you need more help let me know & I'll dig up the paper work and find out where I bought it.

I am about to apply furnace cement to the gaps. i hope it works. i'm just looking to get through the winter. I've already spoke with a good buddy of mine. We're going to fabricate an offset box that will fit under the lintel, have the same volume and be air tight. For now let's cross our fingers that the cement works and lasts till April.

How long should I wait to have a fire after applying the cement? Thanks.

I hate the idea of those boxes. A 15 degree or 30 degree fixed stainless elbow will work for most any liner/insert install on the planet. No seams, no openings and you just sweep the crud right down into the firebox. And they are around sixty bucks apiece.

I hate the idea of those boxes. A 15 degree or 30 degree fixed stainless elbow will work for most any liner/insert install on the planet. No seams, no openings and you just sweep the crud right down into the firebox. And they are around sixty bucks apiece.

Not even close. When you've got only a couple inches clearance and 6" offset there's no way a 15 or 30 degree elbow would fit. I would've loved to get away with something that simple. No way.

Yeah I hear ya BB, but there is just no way I could use anything other than an offset box.

Isnt that a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning?

So just for the record I replaced the offset box at the beginning of this heating season. Big difference. Thanks for all your input.

Not really. It was pretty smokey, so you had to be quick with reloads. We would have to throw the bathroom fans on for 15 minutes after most reloads. I liked it when we were burning pine and doug fir though. It is much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.